Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I only have two rats, but I have the GGMR badly.

But I had a hard time finding a large cage for rats where I live (northern Canada). Ordering online is made expensive by shipping and customs fees, so I looked at what I could make myself.

I found a wire dog kennel for large dogs (and bought it). The dimensions are big: 42 x 28 x 31 inches. The bar spacing is much too wide, of course. My rats can run in and out no problem, lol. But my husband will cover it all with mesh wire and we'll put in covered shelves and tons of toys etc.

Has anyone else done this? Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i thought about doing it and i still don't see why it can't be done. yes, you'll have to cover the bar spacing, but that's not a huge deal. my plan was:

1. buy PVC coated hardware cloth - plain galvanized steel will get eaten with urine = permanent stinky in no time
2. use zip ties/cable ties to attach hardware cloth to sides of cage and door
3. cut out sheets of hardware cloth that are sized so that ratties can have a couple half levels, and attach using zip ties to sides of cage - get creative with levels; you can make L-shapes, or whole levels with just a hole for the rats to get down to the next level, etc.
4. cut out long rectangles of hardware cloth to make ramps between levels and attach using zip ties
5. buy fleece and cut to size of levels, attach using binder rings
6. accessorize!

the only reason i didn't do this is because i found a bird cage for cheaper and ended up doing this to the bird cage instead, lol. also, the large open front seemed easy to clean, as well as the fact that many dog kennels like this have a removable litter tray along the bottom. if yours does, i would also put a full floor-sezed square of hardware cloth on the bottom, just above the tray, so you can slide it out without taking ratties along.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
here is a binder ring:

i get them at office max, office depot, wal-mart sometimes, etc. try your local office supply store basically. i like them cuz the rats can't figure them out and they hold stuff down well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts