Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my rat manor today. Later tonight, I'm headed out to my local dollar store to see what I find to turn into hides, a litter box, digging area, and of course more binder clips cause I'm going with the fleece option for lining the cage. That being said, I was curious to see if anyone else ever went discount hunting for rattie finds, and if so what were you able to successfully incorporate into your rats' home?
Thanks in advance, guys, and I'll post later to let you know what I come back with.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I pick up stuff from the dollar store all the time! Sometimes you have to get a little creative. Shower hooks and zipties are great to hang stuff with. Baskets, hats, fleece blankets, baby blankets, organizer trays, sometimes small kids toys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pick up stuff from the dollar store all the time! Sometimes you have to get a little creative. Shower hooks and zipties are great to hang stuff with. Baskets, hats, fleece blankets, baby blankets, organizer trays, sometimes small kids toys.
Okay, I'm curious. How are you using an organizer tray in a rat cage?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm a little curious too. I could see it being fun for putting in different snacks. And I suppose if it's only a dollar, you could shut those compartments and let the rats go at it.

I picked up a package of 80+ fuzzy pom-poms. They're kind of fun. I took a milk gallon container and made it into a cheap dig box. I cut out the handle and burned the edges so there are no sharp corners (learned that the hard way) for rats to catch on. Then I stuffed the dig box with the pom-poms and some discarded raffle tickets. Throw in a couple of Cheerios, and they go to town in it. I'm constantly putting the pom-poms back in the dig box. They love spilling it everywhere.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm a little curious too. I could see it being fun for putting in different snacks. And I suppose if it's only a dollar, you could shut those compartments and let the rats go at it.

I picked up a package of 80+ fuzzy pom-poms. They're kind of fun. I took a milk gallon container and made it into a cheap dig box. I cut out the handle and burned the edges so there are no sharp corners (learned that the hard way) for rats to catch on. Then I stuffed the dig box with the pom-poms and some discarded raffle tickets. Throw in a couple of Cheerios, and they go to town in it. I'm constantly putting the pom-poms back in the dig box. They love spilling it everywhere.
Any chance they can shred and choke on the pom-poms? Mine destroy everything and I'm having a hard time finding new things to keep them interested.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any chance they can shred and choke on the pom-poms? Mine destroy everything and I'm having a hard time finding new things to keep them interested.
I wouldn't think it'd be any riskier than them choking on fleece. If someone wants to correct me, I'm all ears.

I've taken a more casual approach toward what the rats can chew. They know better than I do the limits of their bodies. As long as the material is not toxic to their lungs (cedar, pine) or mistaken for food, then I've started letting them chew on whatever. Their physiology allows them to chew concrete or wood without getting a stomach full of gravel or sawdust.

If the pom-poms don't disintegrate into a fine dust that'll get up into their lungs, I'm not worried about them chewing on them. Actually, I don't see any evidence of them chewing on pom-poms. My biggest problem is the ones that smell like urine. I'm not interested in washing these things, so they're going in the trash when the girls have worn them out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Heh. I found little gates and made a cheap play pen that I could sit in with them for 10 bucks. (I had to wrap it in chicken wire, so they couldn't escape and I then used zip ties to hold the chicken wire in place) Even though they could easily jump out, I was supervising them anyway, so it didn't really matter. They would only jump out if I was sitting on the outerside of it and come on my lap -- Besides Bear Ninja, given his name.

When they were in the play pen outside, they stayed within the gate.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tissue boxes are also another great thing. Just peel off the plastic inside of it. Stick some food in, they'll love to cuddle in it and pull out the tissues into their tunnels. (At least, that's what my boys do!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fleece and cat toys

·
Registered
555 Posts
My rats always pull up the corners of the fleece and shred them so I've been buying ceramic bowls from the dollarama that are summer looking and putting them in some corners. They like to sleep in them now instead of bitting the corners haha.

Also, Kent or Home Hardware has sample mats for like 3$ that are good! I put it on top of the fleece and it makes it stay down easier and it looks neater/tidier because they're quite heavy for my rats to lift and move around.

If you have leftover fleece and don't know what to do with it, cut it into long strips (you'll need 3) and you can braid them together and attach shower curtain hooks on either side and let your rats use it as a little ladder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts