Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my girls for 4 weeks, and 2 weeks ago Stella had babies. She hand babies are in a separate cage right now, but I'll bring her to the main cage to play for an hour or two. They will play, groom, and sleep together then.

Since she had babies, when Stella visits, she will rearrange the cage- stealing all of the bedding material to make a nest.

When Stella (mum) comes to the main cage to play, they will sometimes scuffle until Luna pins her and Stella squeaks surrender and shows her belly. Or, Luna will force-groom while Stella squeaks and protests. It's happening more often as time goes on. I didn't see this behavior pre-babies

Why is Luna pulling dominance plays, is it because it's 'her' cage now? It seems odd that the quieter one is claiming dominance.

On personalities, Stella is more outgoing- she will shove her way in front of Luna when I come by the cage, and will grab treats right away. She runs around the playpen during out of cage time, while Luna mostly hides.
Luna is quieter/shy- she will sniff at a treat for a few seconds before taking it delicately, and would rather sleep in my sweatshirt than climb around on me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have had my girls for 4 weeks, and 2 weeks ago Stella had babies. She hand babies are in a separate cage right now, but I'll bring her to the main cage to play for an hour or two. They will play, groom, and sleep together then.

Since she had babies, when Stella visits, she will rearrange the cage- stealing all of the bedding material to make a nest.

When Stella (mum) comes to the main cage to play, they will sometimes scuffle until Luna pins her and Stella squeaks surrender and shows her belly. Or, Luna will force-groom while Stella squeaks and protests. It's happening more often as time goes on. I didn't see this behavior pre-babies

Why is Luna pulling dominance plays, is it because it's 'her' cage now? It seems odd that the quieter one is claiming dominance.

On personalities, Stella is more outgoing- she will shove her way in front of Luna when I come by the cage, and will grab treats right away. She runs around the playpen during out of cage time, while Luna mostly hides.
Luna is quieter/shy- she will sniff at a treat for a few seconds before taking it delicately, and would rather sleep in my sweatshirt than climb around on me.

I've never experienced rat litters, s I can't say for sure - but perhaps it's simply a "re-introduction".
When Stella is ready to be back in the cage, full time, they'll sort it out.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
451 Posts
I think as long as they stop when the other protests they are fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts