Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me about something called the dominance pinch, to teach alpha males you're the boss when they get too cocky. Does anyone know how this works?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think its just scruffing them. there's a bit of loose skin by the neck and you pinch there and give them a lift off their feet. i don't know how well thei works though. whenever i had to show that i was the boss i just pinned them on their backs until they either stayed still or gave me a submissive lick or squeak. that has always worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Something like scruffing, perhaps?

I'd be careful with stuff like that. You don't want them viewing you as a rival.

·
Registered
10 Posts
twitch said:
i think its just scruffing them. there's a bit of loose skin by the neck and you pinch there and give them a lift off their feet. i don't know how well thei works though. whenever i had to show that i was the boss i just pinned them on their backs until they either stayed still or gave me a submissive lick or squeak. that has always worked for me in the past.
Do you have any resources on this? I've googled it for about 30 minutes and have not found much useful information on it. Can it be used on female rats?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't know how it affects rats, but in cats and dogs 'scruffing' releases endorphines which will calm them down and keep them quiet.

This may be why when you scruff a rat it calms down. -shrug-

·
Registered
655 Posts
"Rats are generally amenable to handling and, although they rarely bite, they should always be handled with care. Grasping the rat firmly by the shoulders is the best way and a confidently held rat will be a much happier animal than one held gingerly. Handling a rat by the scruff is likely to cause distress and should be avoided."
http://www.v-e-t-s.co.uk/rats.htm

"Restraining the rat by holding the skin over the nape of the neck (scruffing) is not humane as the rat tends to struggle excessively."
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:JSeTpelort0J:www.laurentian.ca/NR/rdonlyres/0CD991E0-2273-4AB1-B29D-3B753E69CE99/7180/RatRestraintSOP.doc+rat+scruffing+calming&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the only source i have is personal experience. the pinning has always worked for me. and it makes sense too as that's the way the dominant or mother would reprimand someone doing something wrong. i don't know much about the scruffing other then that they have loose skin there that can be grabbed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I pin them and hold them for a few seconds, sometimes they will roll on their belly for me. Basically I use hand wrestle play time and give take some opprotunities to assert my dominance over every rat I can XD Not sure if this helps their internal pecking order but it helps them see I'm boss and they can't walk all over me....

or does it? >_>

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just curious, but what is your rat doing that makes you think he needs to be scuffed, pinched, or pinned? I think a lot of behaviors just end up getting labeled ‘dominance’ even though I rarely see a truly dominant animal. (However I have to admit most of my experience in behavior and training is with dogs, not rats.)

Personally I don’t believe my rats think I’m another rat (nor do I believe my dog thinks I’m another dog) and they certainly don’t think I’m their mother…which is basically the theory behind alpha rolls and scruff shakes…to punish them as their mother (or animal of their own kind) would. In dogs at least these methods have the potential to cause more issues than they help, which is why the trainers who first popularized the alpha roll (the Monks of New Skeet) no longer advise people to use it on their pets.

Anyways, not to get down on anyone else’s methods, just throwing out a different point of view…take it or leave it. :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured out another way. I just hold them on their backs with my hand around their shoulders and the other hand under their bum (almost like a baby) They just give me a little lick to say "ok, I get it."

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If he was being aggressive with the others and you interceded that's to be expected. It's like separating fighting dogs.

The only reason I've had to pin any of my rats is Puck's tendency to... ehem... get a little frisky with my hand or arm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We hold our on their backs in our hands and give them a little rub behind the ears as this is how rats socialize with each other as rats generally rely on other rats to clean their head and neck in a social environment.

We have rat that is always hyper, posibbly a medical issue but she was given a clean bill of health and i was told she possibly has an overactive gland. (i'd have to read the paperwork to see exactly what it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts