Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys just turned 9 weeks and over the last day or two I have notice them doing some face offs and pinning each other. There hasn't been any blood and I've only heard one tiny squeak since I was doing things in the cage but if I was any farther away I wouldn't of heard it. My main concern is I am bringing home my other babies Saturday and want it to all go well. Should it be fine? Are they just figuring out who is boss between them?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read something in another thread about one sign being whether they attack the back of the neck or the read end - if they're going to tag each other on the neck then its simply play fighting, if they are going for each others rears then its something more serious? I'm pretty sure thats it - not 100% certain though...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
At 9 weeks this is playfighting, its perfectly natural and normal for them to fight and ping. You can tell how serious it is from the body language and energy. A playful fight is characterised by bouncy behaviour, often seeing the rats have little scraps then fly off round the cage before repeating. A serious fight is characterized by aggressive behaviour, the rats involved stay low, they can circle each other, sidle (move sideways towards each other with there heads down and pointing at the other rat), fur is often fluffed up and the energy is a lot more restrained.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I have noticed it is normally when they get more hyper and start running and bouncing around the cage. I'm glad it is a normal play fighting behavior :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts