Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed tonight that Daisy (the smaller one) is very dominant and pushes Jemima around alot even though there is a good size difference. After watching for a while and thinking about it I realised that this has probably been going on since I got them - but not as strong.

When Jemima goes to get a drink Daisy pushes in and has one too, and same with the food, there might bea few pieces of carrot, some buscuits and a few other things, but Daisy wants the piece that Jemima is eating! Jemima gets a good drink or chew on the food before Daisy harasses her, but she still has to move and get another piece, or come back to it later.

I don't think it is bad at the moment, but I don't want it to get worse. I know there will always be a pecking order, but has any one got any ideas?

Kat

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
unless there's blood and flying fur, then there's nothing to worry about. all rats do this and the pecking order will change from day to day. if you have siblings, think back to when you were little... whatever he/she was playing with/eating was always better than what you were playing with/eating... remember?

·
Registered
263 Posts
XD Zita's fractionally bigger, probably a bit older, and in power. Whenever I give them a piece of fruit to share, I give it to Mimzy first and hold and pet Zita, then let Zita in the cage so she can go and steal it from Mimz. It's increadibly cute.

I agree. Unless things get bad bad, you can't and probably shouldn't try to stop it. It's going to happen, it's normal.

Although it's kind of cute that Daisy's smaller and in charge.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Agreed, if there's no blood or fur, don't worry too much. My Nibbler is much smaller and younger than Nico and he rules the roost. Then again Nico has always been mellow and docile. Sometimes I have to feed him separately or give him treats separately because Nibbler will snatch it and run. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts