Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick of people (most of them trying to be nice) offering me moldy, rotten, or otherwise off food for my boys.

And when I explain that "no, they get fresh food. If I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't give it to them," they inevitably say,

"But they're RATS!"

Um, yes, thanks for noticing. They're still not eating that rotten vegetable.

I had a kinda-sorta-roommate for two months (I took him in when his living situation got dangerous) and while he 100% respected my rules regarding the boys, I wanted to strangle him for offering me food that had gone bad to give to them.

No, they're not eating moldy bread. They're not eating that lettuce. They don't get cream at ALL, let alone the rotten kind.

He always asked me, and sometimes the food was fine so I accepted, and never just gave it to them. But other people have.

One of the only times I'm glad they're so stranger-shy is when I find someone in the Rat Room without my permission and something being pushed through the bars or on the floor of the cage. Because more than half the time, it's dangerous to them, either because of rot or its a food they can't have (they don't have dairy at all because freeranging + diarrhea doesn't end well, citrus because they're boys, and many foods need supervision because of choking).

I just want to give these people, these ADULTS that should know better than to just give their gross food to someone else's pet, a good shake and scream at them.

If you wouldn't eat it, if you wouldn't give it to your child, if you wouldn't give it to your dog, WHY would you give it to MY pet?

"Rats eat garbage!"
Not pet rats. And especially not my spoiled boys. They eat better than I do, you know this because you mock me for it, why do you think I'd be okay with you giving them mould?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My rats don't get anything I wouldn't eat myself. Umm, except liver- that I'm not willing to eat myself. But they LOVE it. Not more than a little because very high in vitamin A. Fortunayely no one ever tried to give them anything else than top human grade- actually except for the Oxbow, everything else they get is pretty much organic.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I once had an elderly pug that the sweet, elderly neighbor insisted on feeding her trash-moldy food, pancakes swimming in syrup, and on and on. Silly pug insisted on visiting her and came home sick as a d-o-g every time. I tried to tell her that he was on a special, prescribed diet due to his age, but she would not listen. I wanted to kill her many times.

With my rats, not so much of a problem. My husband always asks and I explain several times a month, "no I don't give them bread, I believe they get enough grains in their blocks." "yes they can have broccoli, etc." My sister, though. She asks, but hears the way she wants to hear. "Can Petey have a potato chip?" "I prefer that he only gets about 1/4 at a time." So she stood there and gave him the whole chip at one sitting-1/4 at a time. Not quite what I meant, but I'm just glad it wasn't an Oreo. At least neither of them thinks to give them anything that is about to be tossed.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Luckily most of my guests has been respectful to our rats. I'll get the occasionally "can I feed them [junk food]?" and I'll say no. One time someone was too close to the cage with their pizza and was teasing my rats through the bars. My rat grabbed it and pulled it in and ate it. I told the person that they cannot tease them through the bars because it encourages biting. They felt bad, and luckily is was a tiny piece of pizza.

I'd be so ticked if anyone were to offer moldy food to them. I'm sorry that you're going through this, it sounds annoying and a bit scary if they are sneaking behind your back and feeding them garbage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's extremely frustrating. Who the **** just stuffs food in an animal's cage without asking if it's okay???
Just because an animal is willing to eat garbage in the wild does not mean their domestic counterparts are going to eat garbage. Wild dogs will eat rotten meat, doesn't mean you feed a pet dog moldy steak.

Shoot, I don't even give the roaches old food, because that mold can actually grow on them- I've lost a colony to that issue because my roommate tossed some rotten food in their tank. A whole colony, being eaten alive by a mold, and my favorite male got the worst of it... It's just really a dangerous idea to give someone else's pets food without the owner's knowledge or consent.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh I do this... with my friends rats. I do tell her, but sort of afterwards "Hey you know I might just have given *rats name* a piece of pasta/veggie/whatever we were eating.. ;)" .. but then again I DO know that she's okay with it and they're used to getting suitable leftovers from her food. If in doubt I ask first. I'd never give them rotten/moldy/spoiled food, or if it's spiced or non-lactose-free or candy etc. etc.

I don't have that many people coming over to me, but the neighbours kids sometimes. They get treats from me to feed the rats. I'd get upset if people just fed them without asking. Except that friend I just wrote about, because we have a similiar opinion on what's ok in what amount and I trust her.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Goodness, I can't even imagine the mentality to give someone's pet garbage behind their back. ESPECIALLY if they've been told not before. That's just insane. I don't have a lot of people over, mostly my siblings, some of their friends, and my girlfriend's and I's few friends. They have all been extremely respectful of all our animals and have never tried to feed them without my express permission. Everyone who I let into my apartment knows that my pets are my life and that they won't be in my apartment for long if they were to hurt them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That would drive me nuts! Nobody has ever offered my rats food. I'd be cool with it so long as it was something healthy, or a small treat if they haven't had something special in a while. But rotten things? Eww!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts