Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting to my mom last night about Doris and came to the conclusion about whether one of her parents could have been a fancy rat while the other a wild.
The reason behind this is that both Dotty and Roxy had/have a more rounded softer looking face, whereas Doris' is quite pointy.
Also Doris HATES to be handled...only on a very rare occasion will she let me stroke her in the cage. Trying to get her out on cleaning night is a nightmare, she tries everything she can to avoid being picked up.
Also on the few occasions that I've let her on my shoulder she has done almighty jumps to either try and get back into her cage, or just make a run for freedom.
Saying all that though, she does sit at the cage door waiting for her morning treat and has shown an interest in climbing onto my arm for a treat. She also lets me fuss her and stroke her while she's in their carry case that I use while cleaning them out.

What are your thoughts on this? What are the characteristics of half wild, half fancy rats?

Also while I'm on the subject of Doris...last night she was in her tube and I managed to get a nice stroking session out of her (Lol) and I felt like a small pimple, on her back between her shoulder blades. I don't think I've ever noticed it before - or maybe it's the fact that it is isn't very often I get to stroke her properly. Is this anything to worry about? Or just one of those keep an eye on it things?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can't say I have any experience with half wild half domesticated rats; however, I can say that all of my ratties are domesticated, and some have round faces while others have more pointed. I hardly think a pointed face is a good indication of a half wild rat. Also her behavior probably has more to do with how much she was socialized at a young age.

Where did you adopt her? Where did you adopt the others?

Some rats are just more social than others. I have 5 rats from the same litter, and they were all handled equally but some are naturally more shy than the others. I could be wrong but I believe a completely wild rat rescued at a very young age would probably act no different than a pet rat if it was handled properly.

Anyhoo that's just what I think :) but like I said I have no personal experience. One of our members DOES have (or will have) personal experience with half wild ratties, so she could possibly give you more insight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Emster said:
Also Doris HATES to be handled...only on a very rare occasion will she let me stroke her in the cage. Trying to get her out on cleaning night is a nightmare, she tries everything she can to avoid being picked up.
Also on the few occasions that I've let her on my shoulder she has done almighty jumps to either try and get back into her cage, or just make a run for freedoom.
That sounds just like my Daisy. I have 5 girls, all from the same group at the petshop, though I got Daisy and her sister Kanga a few weeks after the first 3. Daisy is just taking a lot longer to come around to me than the rest, and will do anything not to be picked up, and will jump back into the cage if you get within 2 feet of it. I don't think that's a good judge of Doris being half wild, it may just be her personality. I also know my girls faces don't look much like each other, some are rounder and others are more pointed. Where did you get Doris?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was Ration(?) who posted on her not long ago, that they have half wild rats and they are quite hard to handle.

I got Doris and Dotty from Pets At Home - Roxy is Dotty's daughter. Doris was very timid and shy when she was at PAH, she was one of the rats that were more sitting at the back when the assistant put her hand in.
As Roxy was raised by me and handled pretty much everyday she's always been tame. Whereas Dotty wanted to know me and wanted to come out.

Perhaps it's because the other shoved her out whenever I came to the cage, or maybe she just needs a little more encouragment. I did have a break through the other week, when she actually came onto my arm while it was in the cage and sat on it for a good 10 - 20 seconds.
I'll have to try and encourage her abit more. I'm just scared to get her fully out of the cage incase she tries a run for freedom, yet again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't say that I think she IS half wild, but more of maybe it's a possiblity.

Maybe she is just that bit more scared or just doesn't like being handled.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
There is no mistaking a partly wild rat I can tell you. :)

Of my crew, here's mom after she was live-trapped

And here's who we think was dad (he wasn't a very good wild rat and acted more like a domestic by coming out during the day and approaching people, but take a look and tell me if you think he's domesticated)
Hobo before capture

he was botfly larvae (warbles) in him here :(

The other 4 girls I took back in after their owner had to rehome them...for a total of 6 Wildlings (2 neutered boys). these 4 newbies bit and hadn't been handled much. Mine couldn't really be held but would never ever bite...sigh

I have worked very hard with my kids and they will climb on my lap now.

But they are totally instinctual and once you see one you will realize the difference with domestics. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
If she was from Pets at Home, it's likely she probably came from a breeding centre so it'd be very unlikely that the mother would have come into contact with any rats other than the selected bucks chosen for her to breed with. And judging by the pics of lil spaz's half wildings (who are absolutely gorgeous by the way!) a half wild rat would look very out of place in your usual pet shop tank of rats.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paw-x said:
If she was from Pets at Home, it's likely she probably came from a breeding centre so it'd be very unlikely that the mother would have come into contact with any rats other than the selected bucks chosen for her to breed with. And judging by the pics of lil spaz's half wildings (who are absolutely gorgeous by the way!) a half wild rat would look very out of place in your usual pet shop tank of rats.
That's very true.
After I posted this, I also thought about her markings/colouring (Mis-marked black hoodie). I feel abit silly posting this now :lol:

It's just sort of confuses/makes me unhappy that she isn't as friendly as I'd like her to be. Poor girl.

Has anyone got any idea about the pimple like thing to?
I heard small squeaks in the bed just, had a look in and saw Roxy grooming and nibbling her...So perhaps it's from that? I also noticed that it's scabby (It's only a tiny little thing).
I don't think it's mites as I can't feel any other scabs on her and also Roxy hasn't got any. They also don't scratch constantly.
Still, I'll keep my eye on it and hopefull it'll have gone soon and it's just a small thing from either playing or abit to much mutual grooming.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No need to feel silly Emster :) I'm sure she'll come around. Even my shy babies will come out to play with me.....provided I don't pluck them out unwillingly ;).

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
Oh and lilspaz is it strange to say I think the wild ones are even MORE adorable.

Do you still see the papa around?
Papa Hobo, whom we thought was an unsocialized domestic, was adopted by a wonderful woman. Sadly he is still as wild as he was originally leading us to believe he is a wild rat, whereas my half-wild's with a ton of work/sweat/tears approach me, lick me and I have 2 that actually sorta let me pick them up....but then there's 2 that I have to go very slowly with, they will bite and fast. As you can tell they look almost identical. :roll:
They also cannot get over their fear of hands so when I am taking them to the Pen for an Out time or the bathroom (their fav) to sit with them and let them destroy it and climb on me, I have to use a funny little bag/carrier my friend gave me.
I tell them to "get into the bag" over and over, and with many fits and starts they get in...usually 2-3 at a time. Then I can put my hand in the bag and touch them as I carry them.

Some domestic rats are much more nervous than others, and just need more time to work out their fears, or some never do, so you just learn to give them their space and not like you so much, but still be happy with their cagemates etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kaylaface said:
It might be an abcess, but I'm not sure. You might want to wait for other opinions.
I really hope it isn't. Out of Roxy and Doris, Doris would be the absolute hardest to treat - altho it is in a very easy spot to reach, Doris doesn't like being messed about with much anyway so there'd only be so much that she'd take :|
As I said it is only tiny and I'm just hoping Roxy has been over grooming her abit to much or they've been play fighting. I'll keep my eye on it anyway and if it seems to get any worse, then it'll be a trip to the vets.

I think she does just like her own space and perhaps just isn't a people rat. I'm trying to do as much as I can to get her to become abit friendlier, but at the end of the day it's upto her...as long as she's happy with Roxy, then I'm happy.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
That is a good thing to hear. Some people just won't accept that their rat is a bit different, and try to force them to be what they are not. Most of these rats eventually come around, and the "victory" is all the sweeter for that.

Always try but let her set the pace. :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lilspaz68 said:
That is a good thing to hear. Some people just won't accept that their rat is a bit different, and try to force them to be what they are not. Most of these rats eventually come around, and the "victory" is all the sweeter for that.

Always try but let her set the pace. :D

I'm hoping that as she becomes older, she'll mellow out and won't be as fearful.
I usually put my arm in the cage and she'll come over and have a good sniff and if she feels like it, she'll put her front paws on me. I'm trying to let her smell a treat, then place it on my arm, so she has to come on me to get it (Which she usually does). It's just building that trust up.

My mom is hopefully cleaning out the spare room soon so it'll be completely empty, then Ill be able to take the cage in there and let Doris out while I'm sat in there. I'm hoping she'll gradually start coming up to me and start to trust me.

It's strange as Roxy is also sort of the same as Doris, apart from Roxy is to scared to be away from me when she's out as she doesn't feel safe, but Doris wants nothing more than to get away from me :? :lol:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i wouldn't worry to much about the tiny little scab. to me it just sounds like someone was a bit too rough. its harder to see on furred babes then it is on hairless ones but they get just as marked up as the hairless do. you can see it better in lighter rats during bath time. of course, do keep an eye on it in case it does develop an infection, but i wouldn't be concerned about at this point.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
twitch said:
i wouldn't worry to much about the tiny little scab. to me it just sounds like someone was a bit too rough. its harder to see on furred babes then it is on hairless ones but they get just as marked up as the hairless do. you can see it better in lighter rats during bath time. of course, do keep an eye on it in case it does develop an infection, but i wouldn't be concerned about at this point.
Thanks so much Twitch :) You've settled my mind about it...I thought it was due to that, but I guess I just wanted someone who knows alot more about rats than I do to say it.

I think Roxy will keep it clean for her as she's good at that :lol:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There's definately no mistaking a wild rat. They are just so .. different. Max (pure wild) has only recently (after almost 7 months of hard work) decided that a skritch won't kill her and licking babyfood off of my fingers is a tasty treat. :lol:

As already said, sounds like Doris is just a shy little chicken in rats clothing :)

And because I'm shamelessly proud of my Max;

Max and my sister - the ONLY other human she'll allow herself to be held by

And whoever commented that wild rats are more adorable - SO true! :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Abit of an update with Doris!

With the coaxing of banana chips and rice krispies, she now comes onto my arm and onto my shoulder! I leave part of my arm still in the cage at the moment and haven't got as far as actually moving away from the cage, but I'm hoping in time that she will feel comfortable enough for me to do so :D
I can't believe that DORIS actually came onto me. I'm so happy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts