Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes having a large mischief sucks. Everyone seems to be developing varying stages of respiratory infections. Now, I plan on treating them starting this weekend since we're having a big move to a new place on friday, but my problem is how should I go about treating them?

I have lots of Doxy. But do I give 8-14 rats there dosage seperately Or should I put it in the water? The bottle says I could do water as long as I cover the bottle with something and change it everyday. But is this the best idea? I'm sure it doesnt taste pleasant but giving that many rats, some of which don't like being manhandled, individual doeses is going to be incredibly hard.

I will of course do whatever is best, no matter how difficult it is, buy I would like your guys opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I wouldn't ever advise putting medication in there water. It's likely to make them drink less due to the taste which is the last thing you want with ill rats. If all your group has come down with something it is also likely to be a virus which is unlikely to respond to meds other than treating a secondary infection. Do your rats just have resp issues or are there any bulging eyes or swollen neck glands

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your rats just have resp issues or are there any bulging eyes or swollen neck glands
Just resp, sounds congested in some and popping in others. Some have no symptoms except for a suck-in wheeze every once in a while. One sounds like she's beathing through water. I'm pretty sure I know where it came from. I opened the window yesterday because it was nice out, and forgot to close it overnight. Temperature plummeted since it's freezing where I am (snowing as I type) and I didn't realize until this morning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I put some baytril in pedialyte and gave that in place of water... everyone was guzzling quite happily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts