Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night Vincent was mostly hairless. And looked like this:

And this morning, I get him out and he is now covered in fur. Is this a normal thing? Is he going to go from no fur to fur and then back again? His brother, Templeton is a rex, and they both have the curled whiskers. Their mom was hairless and their dad was a rex. Vincent's new fur is very short, but looks like it's wavy.

It's weird, looking at the pics, it's almost like a different rat...

·
Registered
320 Posts
My girl Ara is a double rex, and her hair plays magical acts, too.

One day it's kinda there, the next it's gone, rinse and repeat.

I'm sure it's actually a bit slower than that in changing, but it does seem nearly overnight that the change is significant enough to notice, most of the time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those pics were taken within 48 hours of each other. It's just crazy. I knew that they could grow patches of fur and then lose it, but I didn't expect to go from mostly hairless to fully furry in such a small time frame. I sent pics to a friend, and he is convinced it's not the same rat, lol.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My rat changes his hair color over night. From a brownish color to a grey color. Right now he kind of looks platinum color. He also went from very thin hair, seriously you could see his skin and everything. Now he had lots of fine hair ad you can't see his skin anymore. He doesn't have Rex curly fur though. It's crazy to see someone else have a rat change so dramatically though, at least know it's not in my head....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know I'm not alone, lol.

As far as his markings, I've been looking through the page on here, is he a varieberk? He's black with a white belly, but the white comes up one of his sides to the middle of his shoulders. It's pretty, I'm just not sure what the marking is.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Is he by any change around 6-7 weeks old? Thats when there adult fur moult comes through and in rex types they often go bald and then get there fur through around a week later. It comes in very fast, you shold see it on little babies, they go from smooth things to furry hippos in a day or two

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today Vincent has a bald patch under his neck, another on his stomach, and I noticed fur falling out on his back. All spots are a little bigger than a nickel. The fur on his face is really thin as well. Anyone think he's going to lose all of his new fur?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts