Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read somewhere that if rats even have slight draft in their cage they can get sick? My rat Bilbo (approx 6-7 weeks old) is kept outside during the day currently, in a sheltered cage up against the wall of my house. He has a sheltered lower story to his cage which has solid walls and a half roof. I take him inside during stormy/wet weather and during the night but I wondered if he could get sick from the slightest draft, like this thing said?

·
Registered
555 Posts
So I read somewhere that if rats even have slight draft in their cage they can get sick? My rat Bilbo (approx 6-7 weeks old) is kept outside during the day currently, in a sheltered cage up against the wall of my house. He has a sheltered lower story to his cage which has solid walls and a half roof. I take him inside during stormy/wet weather and during the night but I wondered if he could get sick from the slightest draft, like this thing said?
They can get sick from drafts. I'm not trying to be rude but why is your pet rat kept outside at all?

·
Registered
573 Posts
OK,

Drafts don't "make your rat sick", that's a "myth" that has been spread as truth for many years.... However, being too cold/hot can lower their resistance to disease. So, they "could" get sick more easily. Since they have an area that's "solid".... Drafts "shouldn't be a problem. However, "cold/hot temperatures" might.

What can make your rats sick is them being "outside". Domestic rats are "pampered", for the most part. They don't have the strong immune systems that your average "wild rodent" has. Domestic rats should "never" be kept outside. Domestic rats do much better in a "controlled environment".

You should consider moving your rat "indoors".

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i agree with daize on this one. It's not drafts per se is temperatures outside there comfortable norm. Whilst rats can comfortably live in cooler temperatures than many of us keep them in (down to about 10 degrees c, lower with the right bedding, set up and company) and actualy do worse at too warm temperatures than to cold this does lower and affect immune systems. Especially where you are changing that temperature regularly, do if you bring them inside for a couple nights or play with them inside it can mess with thete immune system.

In terms of drafts though they can have an affect. If a rat doesn't have a good nesting area where it is drafty or worse exposed to the elements this can artificially make the temperature lower for that rat. We lose body temp faster is a draft than when thete is no wind.

i would echo though that rats are not outside pets. They can live comfortably in a shed or outbuilding with the right insulation and possibly heating to keep it above a certain temp (that 10 deg c i mentioned) but they are not need to be kept in hutches outside like a rabbit, especially not alone. Rats keep each other warm and function better in groups not to mention the social and behavioural aspect

1 - 5 of 5 Posts