Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little afraid to even ask what's going on. One of my girls is not moving her hind leg. She curls it underneath the belly and drags it. I really hope it's just twisted or broken, nothing more serious.

I made a vet appointment for tomorrow morning. But they won't give me painkillers before seeing the rat. She is obviously in pain, as she squeaks loudly when touched. I'd like to relieve the pain before we go to vet. What can I get at a CVS or Walgreens to give to a rat, and how to dose? I read about baby Tylenol. But what proportions to use? She is a petite girl at barely 300 grams.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I
f you have an all natural store we use Arnica (all natural pain killer) for all of my furkids and I have taken It too

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll read all that. I think I was on that page before. Thanks!
On my way to pharmacy now!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll read all that. I think I was on that page before. Thanks!
On my way to pharmacy now!
Good luck! Keep us updated, love!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came home after 5 hours,and now she seems better. Meaning she can put some weight on that leg, but is still limping. She slept all afternoon - I checked my wifi ratcam every 20 minutes. :)

I gave her 15mg ibuprofen, which is about the minimum dose.

Niunia of course groomed my fingers when she saw me. Sweet little baby! She is now making a nest in a tissue box. And will hopefully sleep some more.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I know this is off topic.. but how did you set up a WiFi rat cam? I would totally love that for when I'm at work!

Did you give her tylenol?

I'm glad she's feeling better.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are many standalone webcams, from around $50 up. I bought a Samsung Smart cam at Costco a few days ago,and I like it. It is on sale right now for $99. It was easy to set up, you just install an app on your phone, and follow a set up wizard. Works well for my needs which is watching ratties. It can even record on an SD card, and had night vision - great if you are away at night and want to see your rats.

Niunia is better, but the leg is not fully working. The fingers are stuck together, so she can't scratch. But she walks and eats.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I has a webcam. I just don't know how I would go about like.. The program I would use? In order to say, view the live cam at work? Haha

·
Registered
624 Posts
And you're going to the vets tomorrow, right? I hope they get better very soon. x(

·
Registered
277 Posts
I has a webcam. I just don't know how I would go about like.. The program I would use? In order to say, view the live cam at work? Haha
The easiest thing I can think of might be to use a screen sharing program. Team Viewer comes to mind. It's free and pretty easy. You'd install it on your computer at home and leave it running (but not active)while you're gone. Then when you're at work, open Team Viewer on that computer to connect/activate yours at home. Then just open any program on your computer (you probably already have one) that uses the camera. It'll stream simply because it's on-screen.

Team Viewer has an iOS app, too, if you have an iPhone or iPad.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The easiest thing I can think of might be to use a screen sharing program. Team Viewer comes to mind. It's free and pretty easy. You'd install it on your computer at home and leave it running (but not active)while you're gone. Then when you're at work, open Team Viewer on that computer to connect/activate yours at home. Then just open any program on your computer (you probably already have one) that uses the camera. It'll stream simply because it's on-screen.

Team Viewer has an iOS app, too, if you have an iPhone or iPad.

Hmm, thank you for the tip! Already have team viewerror on my PC. Hopefully I can get it on to my work computer. XP

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update how this ended. Niunia is fine. The leg came back to normal within about 24 hours. Vet said it could have been a pinched nerve.

One interesting this she did. When she was ill, she hid in a tissue box, and made a nest. She used paper pieces to cover her bad side. Maybe I'm overreaching in my interpretation here, but that is how it looked. Just take a look.
I don't like posting pictures of my animals in pain, but she is just too cute, even though I know she was hurting that moment.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts