Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since yesterday, when I pick up Mouse, I noticed she drips urine. I'm not talking about the normal little scent marking dribbling when she walks around (she's always done that), but when I pick her up and lift her in air, she will drip. What could this be a sign of? This is definitely not a normal thing. I've looked at her pee with a clean white paper towel a few times yesterday and today, and it doesn't look discolored at all to me.

At first I thought I just interrupted her while she was peeing, so I had put her back down so she could finish going potty, but she didn't try at all. And then later she still dripped after already going potty, or while she was eating and I picked her up, or when I picked her up out of her bed after she woke up.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It might be worth getting get checked out our if you have any urine dip sticks checking Hey urine yourself (human ones are fine just go for ones with blood, protien and sugar at min).

i find with a utu the rat often looks rough and not right but actualy rarely had blood in there urine

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have read that dripping urine can be a sign of a UTI. I think it falls under the "Unusual frequency in urination" symptom, as it's more of a constant attempt at urination.
I would keep an eye out for some of the other symptoms
  • Dampness of fur from urine around perineum
  • A firm and/or distended bladder
  • Blood or porphyrin in the urine
  • Foul smelling or cloudy urine

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I get human urine dip sticks? What would I be looking for exactly to tell me if its anything? The fur around her urethra area is damp often now. I think I will start her on amoxicillin tonight and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or would baytril be better than amoxicillin? I'll be picking up some baytril and doxy tomorrow for her sister. They could share the baytril. Or I can give her amox which I have easily on hand now already. Giving her some pure cranberry juice now too since it's good for human UTIs, thank goodness she likes it and it isn't too bitter for her!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
septrin is the best for uti's if you can get it. Otherwise I'd do baytril and amox.

The urine dipstick ate really easy to find. Here's and example very similar to what i have. Well worth having in as a rat owner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...X110_SY165&dpPl=1&dpID=4155Zr2CoIL&ref=plSrch

the useful ones are protien for older rats to see if they've got kidney degeneration. blood is good for detection of tiny amounts of blood in urine and sugar is good for diabetes. The others mean stuff too but i have to look them up.

a couple of tips before using them. use them prior to feeding then for the day. test twice before you believe a positive ideally a day apart. You can routinely check too if you want and you will get a better idea of what's right for that rat.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think giving the ABs for 10 days is long enough?

·
Registered
395 Posts
septrin is the best for uti's if you can get it. Otherwise I'd do baytril and amox.

The urine dipstick ate really easy to find. Here's and example very similar to what i have. Well worth having in as a rat owner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...X110_SY165&dpPl=1&dpID=4155Zr2CoIL&ref=plSrch

the useful ones are protien for older rats to see if they've got kidney degeneration. blood is good for detection of tiny amounts of blood in urine and sugar is good for diabetes. The others mean stuff too but i have to look them up.

a couple of tips before using them. use them prior to feeding then for the day. test twice before you believe a positive ideally a day apart. You can routinely check too if you want and you will get a better idea of what's right for that rat.
Septrin is impossible to dose. I have Septrin @ 80mg/400mg per pill and do not know how to dose the recommended amount @ 15mg/per kg of rat. It's not like compounding doxi and baytril by themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've used the kids suspension in the past. smells of banana and rats hate it as much as me. There's also an adults one which is aniseed and slightly lower dose. I've not used the tablets myself. Saying that your doseage sounds a bit low there. It's more commonly quoted as 50-100mg/kg of rat over here which is quite doable with your tablets and probably less hard to get in them

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've used the kids suspension in the past. smells of banana and rats hate it as much as me. There's also an adults one which is aniseed and slightly lower dose. I've not used the tablets myself. Saying that your doseage sounds a bit low there. It's more commonly quoted as 50-100mg/kg of rat over here which is quite doable with your tablets and probably less hard to get in them
I don't understand how a person compounds a medication that contains two different medications. How does one do this? If my pills are 80mg/400mg (two different strengths of medication with the sulfa being 400mg and the trimethoprim 80mg in one pill)? It doesn't make sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts