Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet gave me Baytril and Flagyl with the instructions saying 1.2ml Baytril to 100ml water and 0.4ml Flagyl t0 100ml water (it may be the other way around - i dont have it in front of me). Change water daily.

Anyway. My rats arent stupid, they wont drink the water because they know something is in it.

So i have scrapped that idea and I am hiding the drugs in babyfood/mush. I dont know how much to add to the babyfood though, as giving them 100ml babyfood twice a day is not an option. Im going with around 10ml (spoonful), 2-3 times a day, and i have been putting 2 drops of the 1.2ml stuff and, 4 drops of the 0.4 in there.

Is this enough? Is this too much? How much is too much?
I realise I can call the vet to ask this but I thought why bother him when someone here might know.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm not certain, but your situation isn't uncommon... especially since Baytril and such taste awful, the ratties won't take it.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Agggh when will vets figure out that dosing in water is entirely inaccurate, can lead to dehydration of a sick rat because they won't touch the water, and if the bottle isn't scrubbed every day allows bacteria to grow in the bottle. :doh:

Forget the instructions with water. On the bottles themselves is there anything that says mg/ml? I take it they are both liquid?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was wondering about this, too, because I just put Terrance on Baytril.

It's peanut butter flavored, but he won't take it. Tried it in baby food, won't take it, wont take it in apple sauce. In fact, he won't really take any of those things without baytril in them, either.

in fact, he won't really eat anything except dry foods and SOMETIMES carrots.

So now I'm force feeding him with the syringe and he seems to absolutely hate it. And me. :(

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My suggestion would be to consult with the vet, tell them they are not taken the meds by the method of delivery that was prescribed. I'm sure there are other methods available... I personally have used several different methods.

You need to let them figure the dose since guessing is not advisable. Antibiotics HAVE to be administered precisely. Too much can be harmful for the system & too little allows the bacteria to build up a resistance to the medication which could lead to problems with this infection & potential future infections.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When my Charlie got ill, the vet gave me no choice. He gave me a syringe and said it was to be taken direct- from syringe to mouth. So I fed him something nice after to bribe him with! It worked. Is that an option for these meds?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I was also told to administer Baytril directly into my rat's mouth. I didn't even try that, I just mixed the dose in with oatmeal. He got the full dose, but to him it was a treat.

As for putting it in the water, I would call the vet and tell him/her that the rats aren't drinking it and ask for an alternative way of administering the medicine. Ask how much they should get at a time, so you can mix it with some oatmeal or baby food or something. Don't let the vet talk you into continue trying it in the water.. I noticed vets will do that sometimes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for any advice. I think 2 drops of Baytril was fine - the babyfood option worked, they had their hands and feet and heads covered in the babyfood trying to get more. I dont think i was giving them quite enough of the Flagyl as I still have quite a bit left, but she seems better now anyway.

·
Registered
208 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
and if the bottle isn't scrubbed every day allows bacteria to grow in the bottle. :doh:
This is sooooooo true. I've had to replace water bottles due to mold growth in just one night in a warm house. I'd put tetracycline in the water bottle and sometimes by the next morning there would be little spots of mold growth inside the bottle, and that was along with covering the bottle so no light would shine on the water. I'd never recommend putting meds in the water bottle, not only will they not drink it (usually) but you'll waste meds and it's not an accurate means of dosing at all.

I usually broke the baytril pills down into 4's, then crush the peice of pill up and mix it with some yummy baby food, baby cereal, banana mush, other yummy items. One quarter of a pill per rat is what I usually use, unless they are really young then I break the 1/4 peice in half again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts