Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time rat owner, here!! I got Stygian from the pet shop today. I noticed he has some dry skin near his neck. I asked the woman who sold him to me, what I could do? She said I could put unscented lotion on his skin. Is this accurate? If so, does anyone recommend a brand?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on him that you would not be willing to eat. This includes lotion. Perhaps olive oil instead? Or you could give him the oil to eat. :)

Are you certain it's dry skin? Does it appear scabby?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not scabby. Just flakey. Kind of like how dandruff is on us. Olive oil could be an option. I'll see if I can't get a photo of it at some point tonight.

I also got a "Spray on" bath type of stuff.. should I use this on him?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like Forensic said, if you weren't willing to eat it don't use it. It could be hazardous to your rattie.
Try giving Stygian some olive oil on a small piece of bread once a week. You should see an improvement =)

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds like it could be mites, especially because it's just around his neck. Some species of mites like to burrow under the skin, making it appear flaky. Do you, by any chance, have a picture of it you could show us?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No picture at the moment, and it's not just confined to his neck. It's down on his side, on one of his little thighs. I had guinea pigs, one had mites.. this doesn't look like that. Unless it's a different sort. But, I'm taking him to a small animal vet soon, because it looks like a bit of crusted blood around one eye, but no cut.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It's most likely not blood around his eye, but porphryn, which is a reddish watery substance that comes out in their tear ducts, and sometimes their nose and saliva.

As far as I know, there's really not much to worry about as far as that goes, unless there's an excess of it.

But I'm not much of an expert, so I'd wait until someone more experienced comes along to answer that. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
olive oil is perfectly edible. Also, I wouldn't want to put unsented lotion on his skin, it might irritate it.

Don't worry about the crusted blood around his eye, it should go away soon, if it doesn't I would take him to a little visit to the vet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Rattiegma said:
It's most likely not blood around his eye, but porphryn, which is a reddish watery substance that comes out in their tear ducts, and sometimes their nose and saliva.
Lol! Exactly what Stella had. Must be common in rats.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
rattusnorvegicus said:
Rattiegma said:
Lol! Exactly what Stella had. Must be common in rats.
porphryin production is actually from the harderian gland behind their eye, and its common to a lot of mammals.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Olive or sunflower oil is fine, the later being the cheapest, an evening primrose oil capsule every other day is good for ratties with a permanent flaky skin problem, just give it whole, they chew on the capsule which is made of geletine usually so no need to open it.
As suggested mites is a possibility.
Chances are with a good diet now hes got a real home it'll just clear up anyhow.
Try feeding tinned sardines a couple times a week too,, mine Love em and they're full of good oils.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts