Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat itches sometimes and I noticed that instead of just the pale skin under his fur, there is orangish colored stuff that when he scratches it a little comes on his fur. Is this dry skin or mites....I've been reading other posts but none I've seen tell the symptoms of mites or what your rat's skin looks like if they have mites.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mites lead to scabs and possibly hairloss.

Dry skin would likely be whitish, not orange.

Could it possibly be buck grease, maybe? Does the 'orange' wash off?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it washes off...if he itches real quick a tiny little flake of the orange stuff will come onto his fur.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides hairloss....which i haven't noticed any....what does the skin look like....my rat has some normal looking pale spots of skin but then in a lot of spots the orange dry stuff is there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked with Robin(I think I spelled that right) from the dapper rat site and I told her about the orange on the back and how some flakes would come on his fur when he scratched. She said she thinks it is buckgrease and that sometimes the dry flakes of it will come on the fur. I am going to give Raz a bath following what the dapper rat site says.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a female, is it possible she still has buck grease?
Does anyone have a picture?

I am going to try some sunlight anti bacterial dish detergant, how long should it take to clear up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts