Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can rats get dry skin? My rat keeps itching her self and it's not like non stop but she'll itch her self and then play and then stop to itch her self and I don't see any fleas or mites and it's not the same place everytime she itches

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine do the same thing. I bought a humidifier for their room and have been giving them a bit of olive oil with their veggies. They seem to be itching less so I think it's helping.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You won't see mites and even live are hard to spot of your not used to it and the rats not badly infested. i would treat her with revolution or ivermetcin and add a bit of oil to the diet. You cover both options then

·
Registered
30 Posts
my guy has been doing this a lot too. He's scratched ever since I brought him home last weekend, but it seems to be getting worse. I scanned his fur closely and didn't see flees, mites, scabs, or any red skin. I bought a used cage that didn't house any animals for awhile, but I cleaned it really well before I put him in. Do you think hat cold be the culprit? I would think the breeder would be sure the rats wouldn't have mites, but can't be too sure I suppose.

What about just giving him a bath? I haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'd treat him anyways... They can get mites, lice, etc from bedding, so it's not your fault..Even if you didn't see them, they're so tiny. Theres also microscopic organisms... Check his skin by parting his fur carefully and see what it looks like/scabs/irritation etc

You can use olive oil on him to keep him moisturized. If you have flax oil on hand, or some other type of oil he likes that is healthy, he can eat a little of that every day, and it will help dry skin.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
ellebelleeee I'd treat him anyways... They can get mites, lice, etc from bedding, so it's not your fault..Even if you didn't see them, they're so tiny. Theres also microscopic organisms... Check his skin by parting his fur carefully and see what it looks like/scabs/irritation etc<br><br>You can use olive oil on him to keep him moisturized. If you have flax oil on hand, or some other type of oil he likes that is healthy, he can eat a little of that every day, and it will help dry skin. <br>

A bath wouldn't help with mites/lice/whatever, and it would probably irritate dry skin, so just focus on keeping his cage very clean. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gannyaan, thanks for the advice! I also read that males can get oily which can cause itching and rumpled hair I've looked him over really throughly and can't see any irritation on his skin anywhere. I'm wondering if the oils are just starting as he is becoming an adult rat? I think I'll give it a few days and see how it goes since he has zero skin irritation from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
buck grease shouldn't cause itching unless his diet isn't right. normally this is to much protien or not enough good oils (a lot of rat foods have low quality oils like poultry fat added, you want high omega oils).

Try giving him a few drops of linseed or flax oil twice a day for a week or two, failing that try olive oil, not as good but easier to find. Also cut out any treats that are fatty but not omega 3 fats. If it's a buck grease dietry thing then it should clear up by then. th brushing him with a soft bristled brush to help break it up and improve skin health too.

Also what did do you feed, and do toy feed any high protien extras?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.