Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, yesterday while cuddling with Nina I noticed her tail tip for 5 cm is dry and flaky. Now I want to know how I can treat it.

She is on Reggie rat. Yes I know, terrible food. Only food that I know of available in South Africa. She scratches her ears a lot so may have mites. I have Revolution, just not sure of dosage to put on her back because shes so frail.
It can also be humidity because I have 2 bearded dragon cages in my room which both reach at least 100F, however I cant make the room too humid because of the beardies. (They need low humidity otherwise they may get respiratory infection) and they are much more difficult to treat.

I've read that I can put some olive oil in it and correct the problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ill post a (crappy phone) picture in a few minutes

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would use some baby, non scented aqueous cream. That is very safe. I'm also from SA. And yeah, Reggie rat is what we stuck with. I've had my boys just over 3 months and I'm a first time rat owner. I searched the globe! To try get Oxbow food sent here. They don't ship to SA. Isamurat has given allot of advise on home made mixes, but unfortunately most of the base ingredients can't be found in SA. I use Isamurat's mix as a food source on what I can supplement with to give my boys a healthy portion of foods that are good for them. Two weeks ago, I came across a rat food called Nature Rat from Versele-laga. It's much better quality than Reggie Rat. However, the protein and fat content is quite high for adult rats. I give my boys half Reggie Rat and half Rat Nature. I also take all the corn and alfalfa bits out of the Reggie Rat. My boys get daily portions of fresh veg and fruit. So, I think that's pretty much the best I can do.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Give them a small amount of olive oil weekly (or even better linseed/flax oil), this will help add good quality oils into there diet and should help reduce the problem longer term (or feeding a bit of that other food might help too as its so high in fat). The aqueous cream will help short term (i've used this on rats tails before, it does work well).

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Just a thought on Versa Laga, can your stockist get any of there pigeon foods, some of them make an excellent addition to a rat mix, i use one called Dark PLus, or Immunity support as part of my mix, its lovely quality and really nice and varied.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a thought on Versa Laga, can your stockist get any of there pigeon foods, some of them make an excellent addition to a rat mix, i use one called Dark PLus, or Immunity support as part of my mix, its lovely quality and really nice and varied.
Thanks for this info. Will definitely ask them!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Akarah and Isamurat, I rubbed some olive oil on the tail and applied some puppy revolution to her, Akarah, can I order online from them? I doubt the pet stores have it in stock. Will Pet Mania have it? I only see the treats popcorn and Krok snacks. I see now what you meant that Reggie is not so good for older rats a while ago Isamurat. Is a 50% Reggie and 50% Rat nature with some supplemental seeds and add-ons good for rats over 1.5 years? I don't know how old Nina is, but I'm going to assume she is over 1.5 years to be safe. I gave her daily ensure until a week ago, can this also be a factor for the dry tail or not really?

Nina is frail and skinny so I would need to add some fat in a mix.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
rat nature isnt great for old rats due to its protien content, its pretty high. Saying that with Nina being female its unlikley shes suffering from kidney issues at her age, it tends to be bucks that get it earlier. Its defintily one to think about as they get older though, as it is the reggie is probably better for an old rat. This is because kidney issues are one of the most common issues in older rats, protien causes a massive load on the kidneys, so if they are getting on a bit then reducing the amount of protien to the minimum they need can help a lot. Phospherous is another thing that puts loads on the kidney but isnt as bad as protien (relatively), this is found more in some grains than others, wheat is one of the bad ones (along with oats and rye). However by adding some low phospherous grains like white rice and barley you can improve a mix fairly easily. Alternatively as they get older you replace half there food with a low protien cooked meal designed to be kidney kind.

In terms of putting weight onto a skinny rat, fat isnt actually the answer. What you want is to add in more processed carbs, so cooked grains with a bit of protien in it say. The idea is to up the calories and make it as easy to digest as possible. My staple for this is cooked rice with egg cooked into it (just microwaved until it sets) then i make it interesting by adding some veg or baby food (savoury, natural ranges) or soya cream etc. To that i add a few drops of good oil (linseed or salmon oil being my faves).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts