Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, when I look at male rats at their largest, it comes to me that Dumbo males are larger than the other rats, is this a thing that Dumbos do? hahaha, are the males larger then the high eared rats?

Also, I have NEVER seen a dumbo female, everyone seems to be owning dumbo males, whats a full grown dumbo female look like?

Maybe the ears on the males make them seem, wider in the head area... hmm.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Dumbos have a slightly different bone structure in the head, which means their heads are a different shape... slightly wider, etc. But as to actual size (as in weight) I don't think there's necessarily a connection, unless the breeder of the dumbos is going for big rats instead of small or mediums. :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a really hard time getting good pics of my dumbo girly...my good camera is broken so I have to use the junky one and it always makes the rats look much less cute than they are in person!
But here she is:

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
My first and only dumbo girl is tiny...not many dumbo's go through rescue.

They come in a variety of sizes, the dumbo's. Probably the reason they are bigger is that originally good breeders were the only ones that had them, then they leaked to the pet population and the backyard breeders etc....
They also are a more profitable stock to those people and might be cared for more than say a top-eared PEW litter would be. It's all genetics and how well they were cared for when growing up.

Give me a sweet topear anyday!!! they need me more. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My dumbo boys are only 6 weeks old so still small suppose i will have to get a bigger cage when they get bigger :O lol x

·
Registered
82 Posts
The only one dumbo I ever had was humungous; bigger than any rat I've ever seen/had. Since I only had one I don't have much to base it off of but that's my experience. He was also siamese, and don't the siamese tend to be bigger?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Awww I want a dumbo <3

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got two dumbos and they are larger than everyone else indeed. All of my 'fat rats' have been dumbo. Mine have always seemed to gain weight a lot faster and have a really hard time sliming back down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts