Rat Forum banner

Dwarf rats?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fumatory 
#1 ·
How do you tell the difference between a dwarf rat and a "normal" rat? I bred a litter last year and the babies are now 6 months old. The boys are huge (well, normal sized) but the girls are tiny. I know there's obviously difference between the two sexes body builds/sizes, but even comparing the tiny girls to their mum and aunt there's still a big difference.
I managed to weigh and measure out some of the girls and they're about 6 inches without their tail and weigh 200 grams. I know they're not fully grown as of yet, but was wondering if there's a possibility of them being dwarfs?

Thanks guys n gals!

#2 ·
I guess I'll be the first to mention it...talk about breeding is forbidden here. With that out of the way, no, those girls are already too large to be dwarf. Some girls are just very small; I myself have a girl that could probably pass for a 2 month old male. Dwarf is a recessive that works like the gene for dumbo ears, you either have to have two dwarf rats, a dwarf and a carrier or two carriers to have dwarf pups. Dwarf is fairly rare unless you are buying from a breeder that specializes in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.