Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just had a litter of dumbo dwarf rats and they are wondering if I can take a boy or two to help them out since they want them to go somewhere they know they will be spoiled and well taken care of. My only problem is currently i don't have a second critter nation for a long time home only smaller temp cages. So I was wondering if they would be able to live (after quarantine) with my standard size boys? My boys aren't full grown yet would they be okay with a dwarf or would they always need to be separate?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would personally not keep male dwarfs with standard.

The size difference of a dwarf (often 80-100g sometimes up to 120g fully grown) vs a standard male (450-650g)!! That is a huge insane difference. Some males do get aggression issues but even not a little spat could end in tragedy. I'd be wary of younger males too who haven't hit that hormonal stage yet as you wouldn't yet be sure how they will react once they do.

Some people do and everything is fine but the risk is high. Even a rough play could cause injury but any type of fight is not going to go well for the dwarf. I have sweet males myself. I intro 3-4 week old babies to them and let them meet. But I would not let a dwarf live with them.

Dwarf rats also tend to be much more hyper and energetic even the males. So they could easily annoy adult males who often tend to be quite lazy. They also even for their small size need alot of space, as much if not more then standard size rats because of their high energy. So i would not keep them in a temp cage for long.

You said this was a friend, and I do not mean to be rude in any way I obviously do not know them :). Are you sure they are actual dwarfs? More breeders do have them these days but not a ton. I would think they would have told u not to keep them together. I'd also inquire about what lines they come from. Some dwarf lines have suffered from not great breeding and are known to be quite aggressive sadly :( I'd make sure they came from a really great healthy line. What is the name of their rattery if u don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure they are dwarfs he has two litters the same day and there is a huge size difference in the dwarfs and the standards. But that is kind of what i thought I was just wanting to make sure. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts