Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, we have had our rats for a few days now and obviously are learning alot about them every day.

I just wondered is it normal for the rats to get the food out of their tray and hoard it near their beds? We filled their bowl up and the next day half of it was scattered around the bedding...

The other thing is, does anyone know of a decent list of 'treats' that they can and cant eat, I bought some bits and bobs today like cheese wedges and some rat muffins, but can they eat chocolate, and if so what sort? Dog choc drops???

Thanks to anyone who helps...
Paul n FIona

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Hehehe...very normal. Rats often stash their food even if its only just outside their bowls. I often move a house of theirs and find a hidden stockpile. LOL

Here is the Forbidden Food List...start here.
http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm

As for treats, rats love foods that are better for them so its the best way to go. Do not get fooled into thinking yogurt drops (yogies) are good for them at all...they are sugar and oils, just like a chocolate bar to them. You can give them veggies, live culture yogurt (unless you are medicating then make sure its not within 2 hours of the abs), soy products, like milk, yogurt, etc. Thawed frozen peas are a great treat, except the pea hulls everywhere after the frenzy, thawed frozen corn, raw carrots, no idea about celery since its soo hard to digest and they have such fast metabolisms., etc. I would advise staying away from high protein, high fat, high sugar. Some protein is fine, but if you are feeding a good lab block there should be enough in there for proper nutrition. If you are feeding dog kibble in a cereal/grain mix then you will need to feed foods with Vitamin K as kibble is deficient in this.

Moderation and healthy is the best way to go to enjoy your little fellows for a longer time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts