Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , ive noticed my 6 month old female dumbo has a penchant for insects ! Whenever a spider , fly ,daddy long legs comes within pouncing range she dives on it and proceeds to devour the poor beasty.Is this normal/healthy and if so , seeing as she seems to love them so much would it be ok to feed her the occasional locust/cricket that they sell in pet shops for reptiles as a treat ?
Ive heard insects are very nutritious but am worried that she may pick up any disease the insect may have had in its body.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Id be careful with spiders, I know its not recommended to give them to beardies so I'd assume you shouldn't give them to rats. Mealworms are a good insect treat. My boys love digging them out of the bowl.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont intentionally feed her spiders but i live in an old house so its hard to stop her if one foolishly wanders into her domain ! Thanks for the mealworms tip tho , i also keep leopard geckos so theres always plenty of "grub" going round :p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Try to keep it occasional. Insects are loaded in protein and rats need just a tiny amount of protein in their diet so you don't want to overdo it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice , tried her on a mealworm and she loved it ! even though it looks gross, ill use them only as a reward treat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's such a shame that insects have high protein (or that rats can't tolerate high levels of protein). They are so cheap to buy....even cheaper to grow. :(

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Insects are a great addition to the diet and more carbohydrates can be added to balance out the protein. (Just one of the reasons why blocks are inferior. No room to move nutrient percentages around.)

Please keep an eye on thread dates and avoid posting in ones that have not seen activity in a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.