Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Yesterdays News litter bad for them to eat. I've just put a litter box in my girls cage and since it's so new they are trying to eat the litter. I'm assuming that eventually they will stop eating it, but will it hurt them? I don't want them getting sick.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I doubt they are actually eating it. They are probably just chewing on it.
Do they have lots of toys to chew on?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes. They have wood blocks, mini rawhide bones, rawhide braids and bones if I've had something with bones to eat :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
They could just be really weird and like to chew on their litter. I doubt they are ingesting this. Do they often use their chew toys you have for them?
If not try putting a bit of honey on a few of them to see if this piques interest in them. As honey doesn't spoil (ever) there is no need to remove the toys if all the honey doesn't come off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same thing happen to me. I put in a box with the litter and they are both chewing on it. Never happen before, but then I had it all over the bottom of the cage. I removed the box and plan to try over again once the new cage arrives.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My girls started chewing on this softsorbent bedding I got for them as soon as I put it in the cage. They'd pick up the paper balls and shred them, then pick up another and repeat the process. They got over it once the bedding became old news to them. XD

Yours are likely just playing with it, and they'll most likely get bored with it soon enough and move on to the next new toy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's non-toxic, it won't hurt them if they nibble on it ^_^ One of my girls occasionally munches on it, and she's never had any problems.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I knew the post sounded REALLY familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I was thinking "hmm I've already posted here where did all the replies go? oh well!" haha silly me.

Mana is right, it's just made from recycled paper products so it shouldn't hurt them I wouldn't be overly concerned. Unless they stop eating their food and actually eat their bedding then don't worry too much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It won't hurt them. Don't worry. Then again, I am no expetr, but I don't think they are eating them, they are probably just chewing on them or smelling them very close to thir nose. THen, they will take them to thir own little "spot" in the cage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that is what I thought - but it never hurts to get others opinions. I did just put it in today so it's probably just a novelty item and the fascination will go away soon :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts