Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Loooove being a part of this board! :)

On to my..concern? I guess. My girls (I've had them for almost a month now) have just started stashing their food/eating in their litter box. I think it's totally gross, they have plenty of places to stash food in the cage, why on top of the poo?? And it's not like they've stopped using the litter box (so impressed with the person who litter trained!!) but they are literally sitting on their poo to eat.

Do I think this is gross just because I am a human? Is this normal? Should I discourage it? (every time I see food there, move it somewhere else?)

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some of my girls do that as well! Secretly, I wish they would be a bit more refined, but when someone (family member) comments negatively about it, I tell them to get over it and that my girls are so cute that they make eating in their litter look adorable.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had that happen too. They actually haven't done it lately, but every so often one of the rats goes there for safety… I guess.

I don't know what prompts them to do that. On a bright note, their poop tends to harden pretty quickly. I never thought I'd be so degage about poop, but it doesn't bother me as much now. I still wish they wouldn't eat in the litter tray.

I've tried just picking up the rat and putting her outside the tray when I catch her. It works for the moment. I caught her eating in the litter so I just picked her up and placed her on the floor. She squeaked in annoyance and went back to the litter tray. I picked her up again. She squeaked in annoyance again, but she ended up eating where I placed her. I can't say for certain that this method is effective, but it may send a message that their food won't be interrupted if they eat it somewhere else. And maybe all they'll learn is to not do that while you're in the room, which is fine too. At least you won't have to see it anymore.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a rat who eats litter. I even went out and bought a grated litter box, and she'll still fish through the bars for litter to chew on at night. I've never had an issue with her eating the litter that I have now, which is the off Petco brand of Yesterday's News. I had another type of paper litter because I ran out of my original litter, and Lynn ended up getting explosive diarrhea from it. o_O

My rat will sometimes eat their food in the litterbox, but I do have Lynn, who eats the litter on occasion. Needless to say, she's not allowed to give kisses on the lips.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My boys do it too. We bought a grated litter box so they can't stash food in there, but Buddy will hoard food in one of the hammocks instead and then sleep on it, poo and pee on it. It's disgusting and I try to discourage it by putting his stash back in the bowl before anyone sleeps on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts