Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rats has started sneezing, its not a constant thing but she does it everyday and its usually a bunch of sneezes in a few seconds and then she stops. She has no previous history of respiratory problems and has never had any other health issues so far (she is a year and a half).
I just spent $700.00 in the last week on vet bills between my other rat and my horse, so I can't get her to the vet until my next pay comes in.
I read that echinacea works well to improve immune systems and treat respiratory problems.
Has anyone had any experiences with using echinacea?
How do you administer it?
How do you determine your dosages?
Where do you buy it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Garlic is good for boosting the immune system too, I put garlic powder in my rats mix and they get a dog food with garlic in it also. A lot of the asian mushrooms help. I buy Love My Pet Immune Boost Drops from my vet and give one drop a day too, that helps and it has echinacea in it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I use Echinacea. But I don't use it as a cure, more as a preventative when I start hearing occasional sneezes. Anything serious and they go to the vet for antibiotics. I combine echinacea with Goldenseal, two drops of each per rat in a treat per day. Then I put them on it a week, then off a week. That or you can do on three days and off two days. It's good for myco prone rats as it helps boost their immune system. You don't want to use it on pregnate or nursing rats.

You want to buy a tincture, an alcohol free one. You can buy this at most health food stores, herbal shops, or organic markets. It's about $10 a bottle, so it's going to cost $20-$30 for both but you definately need both echinacea and goldenseal to do any good.

But yeah, if your rat is having problems it's not going to help much. It's more for occasional sneezing in between medication for myco prone rats. Also I would ask your vet about it before starting it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts