Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hihi,

Can rats get noticeable erections? I noticed today that Eddie was 'grooming' between his legs, and afterwards Tim (my boyfriend) noticed that he had an 'erection'. I'm hoping that's all it is. Basically his penis was on the outside (as opposed to covered in fluff) and kind of purpley pink.

I know this is kind of gross but we all love our rats here and I'm making sure this is nothing to worry about.

If it is what I think it is, should I do anything? He seems to be constantly... grooming... himself down there, should I get him neutered? Would this help at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
i personally have never hadmale rats but from what i read its sounds like thats what hes doing, i wouldnt worry bout it. but you might wanna w8 for someone like forensic or lilspaz to post something before you do anything.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know about an 'erection' as such, but when my boys clean themselves they often pull it out to give it a clean. It's normal.

I think if he becomes absolutely obesessed with cleaning it, there may be an irritant or infection, so I would get it checked. But as it sounds, you shouldn't worry

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I'm taking Eddie tomorrow at 5:30 to the vet. I hope he's ok :( I've never had a sick animal before, it's breaking my heart

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
From the information you've found, it sounds as though your rats wotsit should be out constantly. Is that the case?

As I've said before, if it just comes out after cleaning, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is out constantly. Since I noticed it yesterday, it hasn't retracted :(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did some research today, and found out about the thing (I put a link in a post above). It occurs in all animals, including rats and can be very painful. I hope hope hope this isn't what it is, but Eddie's 'wotsit' ;) hasn't retracted and he is grooming it constantly.

·
Registered
798 Posts
his constant grooming could be a sign that hes in pain. It wouldn't be possible to get him into the vets any sooner I'm guessing? If he's housed with a friend I would remove him so as he can be comfortable, but be careful doing so because if you see signs of depression (which shouldn't be too bad if hes alone for just one day) you'll have to put him back. again, good luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed him last Thursday and he's chilling out on his own. He seems to be happier alone tbh, at least at the moment. Vet is tomorrow evening that's the first "emergency" appointment they had!

·
Registered
407 Posts
simbakitten said:
i personally have never hadmale rats but from what i read its sounds like thats what hes doing, i wouldnt worry bout it. but you might wanna w8 for someone like forensic or lilspaz to post something before you do anything.
Im telling ya, they are GREAT resources of information, arent they!

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts