Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well like the new title says breedings on hold due to my moving and the fact that id lil a lil more info before i start , doesnt mean it wont happen just mean not now, ill wait till the time is perfect for me and them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Re: your all gunna hate me but its my choice im going breed

Tips-
1. Find a mentor
2. After sufficient schooling, get some quality pedigreed rats.

Any rats you bring into the world without these two things are NOT furthering the species, they're just overpopulating.

Even if you won't get a mentor or wait until you know more (ie, don't need to ask a bunch of strangers online for advice), please please please start with non-pet store stock.

Although, I doubt any breeder will be willing to let you have their stock, knowing that you'll be breeding without enough knowledge and experience.

At the very least, make sure you have at least 20 homes lined up BEFORE you bother breeding unwanted rats.

And keep one of the baby boys for yourself, so that poor lonely Daddy will have someone to be with.

Just a thought, if you have enough money to breed, then might you have enough money to drive to a rescue and pick up some ratties for distribution in your area? Though I admit I have no idea what it's like in NZ, there's never reason to bring subpar pets into the world willy-nilly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

well i dont know of any breeders in my area , i cant find any non pet store rats at all! (ive looked) and also yes yes i will be keeping a male for the daddy so he is not lonly , my mum wont let me do a shelter but i will maybe some day ...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Look what I found! Yay Google, anything within a few minutes.

This is a NZ Rat Forum, and there's a whole section on rats that need homes.

There is NO reason AT ALL for you breed pet store rats when there are already some that need homes. And if it's babies you want, foster for the rescues that seem be around. You'll be a welcome part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Like I said, if you have enough money to breed, you definitely have enough money to drive for rats. You won't make money breeding rats, ever, and most definitely not with pet store rats.

And if you're concerned about having rats in the pet stores, well, it's much better that they're not there. You have no idea where those guys will go, and some could be snake food, or impulse buys to be neglected a month later. Rescue, and put up posters in the pet store. That would be SOOOO much better than overpopulation of subpart genetics.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

You probably won't find tips (by which, I'm not sure *exactly* what you'd want... if you're going to breed, you need to do a lot of research yourself as I don't believe there are "tips" per say) on breeding here, because we do not breed. If you want tips, then go about it the right way and get the info from those who know what they are doing. You've been shown there are rats that need homes, and you insist they don't exist. We can't stop you, but the truth is... We are not breeders. The few breeders on the board probably won't give you any tips, as they are ethical breeders who didn't throw rats together to see what happened. They mentored, they studied for years.... Not to speak for them, but I doubt they'd be so willing to give you tips any more than anyone else.

You will do what you want. But do not expect us to support it. Do not expect tips from people who do not condone you breeding, and/or who do not breed.

Not being angry, not bashing. Just saying... You're looking in the wrong place, here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ok i realise there may be a few rats needing homes BUT there are almost none in my area, and just to clear this up in nz RATS ARE NOT FOOD FOR PETS! we dont have snakes ect
i know u all think its a bad idea but i have been reserching bit by bit for weeks now and i was just looking for anything anyof you may have come acroos ie bad situations that you could or could not handle , i plan to breed my rats in the best way possible and find homes for them, the only pet stores i would sell to i TRUST because i know how they sell them i know they make sure the people are good (as best they can)

i think your being unfair
where i am it seems rats arnt pets much because pet stores can get them (as no1 is breeding)
and i think many should get the joy of looking after rats.

i went on the nz rat fourm and couldnt find any rats i could get (as many r too far) so far ive found at most 2 or 3rats needing homes near me and they are over a year and a half old and i am thinking of asking bout getting them when i move on the 30th i will have 3 rat cages one the size of a double wardrobe one that holds 4 girls atleast probly more and one for 2 or a mummy so she has space to be pregnant and not botherd. i have researchd i have money aside that can be used if they get sick or have birth problems

so dont judge me i just wanted to see if yall could offer me any help....

CaptainFlow you have been helpful with the nz forum i have joined that now and already started to line a home up for some babies when the time comes =)

·
Registered
407 Posts

well, good luck.

please understand - the people here are not all about criticizing YOU or anyone for that matter. The people here are about what is best for the animal and even the betterment of the species in general. People keep getting confused on that fact.

I understand all of what youre saying, and yes it does seem like your situation in NZ is different than what we experience in the states. The one thing that keeps occuring to me however, is that breeders spend YEARS learning their trade. It is a science and to any GOOD breeder, the point of breeding is NOT to just create more colonies of pretty rattie babies, but to better the health and temperment of the species through genetics. If you do not have access to a breeder then Im not sure how youre going to do that. But, that is not my business really. If you've noticed, Ive not bashed you and have weighed each word to make sure that you cannot misconstrue what Im saying as being negative.

I just wish you the best, for the sakes of the ratties that you will eventually become responsible for. I really hope that this truly isnt a spur of the moment thing, because life isnt something to do on a whim, as there is no such thing as a disposable life.

Again, good luck to you and I hope things go well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

this is not a spare of the moment choice i have been pondering the idea for sum time

and dont worry the bubs will get good lives and i will be breeding for the better in the long run i will breed the better traits into them as best i can

i do understand the responsibilty of this

·
Registered
407 Posts

Im not being mean, I just want to be honest.

Im sincere in saying that I wish you the absolute best luck in the world - I really do.

I cant say that I agree with what youre doing, but I CAN see that the situation is different there (meaning in NZ) than it is here.

That being said, I dont know about anyone else, but I personally would like it if you would let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i will , if you want to know bout how it goes ill put pics up of the bubs when there born ect i love this forum and would love to share with you my experiance

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

guys, you do know all the really good breeders started off like toxic_tears

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

I don't understand what I am being unfair about? Please, tell me, as I am only trying to say one thing -

We are not the ones to seek advice about breeding on. You asked for tips. We do not have any. We do not breed.

What is unfair about that? I am not condemning you. I do not understand why you don't choose to find a mentor... At least, you don't seem to be. Many people mentor with breeders halfway around the world, so I don't see why you're choosing not to do that. You seem to want to do it right, and that would be what most rat fanciers consider doing it right. You could obtain breeder rats when your mentor believes you're ready. You have the money, so it could be done.

Other than that? I haven't bashed you in the slightest, nor have I said you're a horrid person. I don't understand your need to rush anything, but that certainly isn't bashing, is it?

Again, my main point is that you asked for tips, and as a forum that has very few breeders, none of whom are extremely active... The tips you seek are not going to be found here. That is what mentoring is all about.

rat_rascal - as we say over and over again, the "good" ETHICAL breeders started of mentoring under established breeders. They studied for years. They did not buy pet store rats and breed them. If you'd like some examples, I'd be MORE than happy to provide them.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Why would you need to leave the forum even if you were bashed? I haven't always gotten along with every single person but I'm still here.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

rat_ratscal said:
Actually most mentored under another breeder or had good lines.

Toxic, if you do want to breed, I would put in the time and effort involved in finding pedigreed rats, however hard that may be. You don't know what's in your pet store rats' genetics and they may carry something like a tendency to PT or similar that could give a lot of the new rat owners a very premature heartbreak when their new pets die very, very young. At least with pedigreed rats you'd know that you're giving these new owners the best pet you can.

My two cents.

·
Registered
730 Posts

If you're set on the idea of breeding, why not ship over rats from breeders in Australia? I know of a few people in NZ who have done that whith great success.

I don't condone you breeding, but if you're determined to do it, please do it properly.

·
Registered
407 Posts

rat_ratscal said:
No, I dont know that at all.

What i DO know, is that Ive been fortunate enough to meet a breeder in my area that has been breeding for over 30 years. 30 YEARS.

This person has an education and mentored for nearly 7 years with a master breeder who had been breeding for genetic superiority for nearly 40 YEARS.

Through this breeder that I met, I was able to speak with another although this person is a few hundred miles from me so Ive not met them face on. This breeder's history is very much the same. As is nearly every other breeder that is in the rat association. None of them make a dime from this, the actually lose quite a bit of money. They do it simply for the genetic betterment of the species. Which is the only GOOD reason to do it and THAT takes time and effort. Not just desire and reading a few websites.

Rat_Rascal, you seem like a together kid and nice as well....but you really need to get your facts together. Just because you say something, does not make it truth. The internet is a wonderful research tool. Use it.

·
Registered
549 Posts

rat_ratscal said:
No, the good breeder are mentored by breeders and are breeder to better the pet rat. 'Back yard breeders' contribute nothing to the species. Pet stock is not supposed to be bred ever. Good breeders use pedigree stock, much like a good dog breeder.

*I am not against breeding by people who KNOW what they are doing and do it correctly. My neighbors when I was growing up bred English Labradors, they could trace their breeding stock back at least four generations, they had multiple litters (by different mothers) and more often than not the puppies were sold before they were born (I think it was something around $800 each) and when the puppies were sold it was with the stipulation that the dogs would not be bred

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

shipping has restrictions

this is most likely something that this person will not be able to do

as for the whole.. needing tips, advice, instructions, insight, support & what have you in regards to your desire to breed... this board simply is not a place that will be able to fully embrace this notion

Nothing against you.. keep in mind

The fact is that anything said openly on the public forum will be read by countless people & it will be archived for anyone savy enough to search for the subject. Because of this & the overall feel of this particular forum not being one that supports what is consider "an unmentored breeding practice" you are simply not going to be able to address your questions openly on this board.

There are boards where breeding is discussed. Mind you, many people who openly discuss breeding are people who breed feeders for the reptile pets & they also have rodents as pets. If you can read past some of those unsavory topics & pick out the great tips offered about proper care,nutrition, housing, medical concerns & everything else breeding related... that would be the place to discuss these topics. Then reserve all of your posts about the joy of your pets, the silly things they do along with any pictures you wish to share on this board.

No one is trashing your choice but no matter how valid your desire is to breed, no matter how well suited you are to take on this adventure... this simply is not the proper environment to discuss this venture.

I know of one board that discusses this. I am sure there are many others but I really have no need to find others since I don't breed, I found it quite randomly when I was looking for resources that discussed various genetics. I have shared this link with a few people that have insisted on moving forward with breeding. You do what you feel you should do & if you would like the link to that board contact me via private message & I will offer it to you.

I wish you all the best. Please research this a bit more before you actually toss two rats in together because there are some not so pleasant things that can happen & you really need to know about these worse case scenarios before you find yourself in the middle of a crisis & you have no idea how to handle it. Even the most well known & well respected breeders have had mothers die during the birthing process or shortly after giving birth. You are going to need to know these things as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts

How much money do you have saved up? Is it enough to provide all of they're needs? I would hate for you to end up with a huge litter and not have the proper space for them. What about a vet fund? If one gets sick it's likely they all will. I know the idea of breeding sounds fun. I almost bought a pregnant rat because I wanted babies. I'm glad now that I decided against it. I mean I would hate to think of how expensive it would be to house 20 rattie babies. I think it would be best to just get them from a rescue. Way less expensive. Just a suggestion.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts