Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2 year old rora suddenly has a huge protruding eye, she has been scratching at it, she’s separated from her sister right now incase she were to scratch it or hit it accidentally, she’s had a small swollen eye yesterday morning and suddenly it’s the size of a pea:( she seems uncomfortable and in pain, yet she’s still eating and drinking and acting like normal rora. I’ve been giving her infants Ibuprofen. I took these photos when I had her in the cleaning tank while I was cleaning her temporary cage. I just moved back home and finally got to have my babies back and this is the first thing that happens to her.

edit: next morning it seems to not hurt yet today, it looks a little smaller, I’m assuming from the medicine I gave her, it’s not really noticeable, it’s only because I haven’t taken my eye off of her so I could tell, I’ve contacted a few local vets and they all said the same thing “unfortunately, we don’t see exotic pets.” But one very sweet place sent me three people they know that do.

edit: same day^ but suddenly she’s breathing heavy, wheezing, and sneezing, she’s worrying me, no vets have answered and now I’m scared that by the time they do it’ll be too late.

edit: ^ it’s night now I’m afraid I’m gonna lose her, no vets have responded except for the ones who told me they don’t see exotic pets, she’s doing terrible so suddenly and the ibuprofen is starting to seem like it’s not helping as much
Hand Vertebrate Mammal Felidae Rodent

Rat Rodent Fawn Whiskers Snout

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Please someone help:( I can’t get her to a vet quite yet due to our sudden move and a wait on job hiring process, I’ve been cleaning her cage a lot and giving her watermelon and some medicine for the pain, I feel stuck and shitty like I can’t do anything for her, I feel terrible:(

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi there.
I'm really sorry for your situation, and would love to help but I don't think anything can be done without a vet seeing her.
Would it be an option to contact a vet nearby for advice? Email them these photos?
Or perhaps you could contact a local animal rescue or shelter for advice/help? If she seems in pain I think it would be really important to do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there.
I'm really sorry for your situation, and would love to help but I don't think anything can be done without a vet seeing her.
Would it be an option to contact a vet nearby for advice? Email them these photos?
Or perhaps you could contact a local animal rescue or shelter for advice/help? If she seems in pain I think it would be really important to do that.
I will definitely send a few emails to some local animal rescues and the vet nearby and see if they have any advice, thank you, it’s terrifying I’ve been staying up all night out of fear she’ll scratch it so bad she’d possibly bleed out.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,388 Posts
Is the eye crusty and oozing, maybe an infection? You can put a warm moist compress on the eye and clean it gently.

Is she tilting her head or acting differently? Sometimes the bulging can be caused by an inner ear infection. Either way, not much you can do until she sees a vet. Best of luck, I know it's distressing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the eye crusty and oozing, maybe an infection? You can put a warm moist compress on the eye and clean it gently.

Is she tilting her head or acting differently? Sometimes the bulging can be caused by an inner ear infection. Either way, not much you can do until she sees a vet. Best of luck, I know it's distressing.
I have noticed that her eye is crusty, I’ve been gently wiping them. I found my other girls eye infection medicine and have been hesitant on trying it, out of fear it might not be what’s wrong, I’m scared that by the time I can find a vet who takes in rats, and by the time I can make it into the vets office, she may need her eye removed.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't think it would hurt to put antibiotics in her eye. Go ahead and treat it as an infection for now. Sometimes we have to do a 'shotgun' treatment, meaning give 'em whatever meds you have and hope it works.

Reactions: roratherat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m completely heartbroken, she randomly started breathing from her mouth I held her, she snuggled with me and I lost her:( my rora has passed away June 24 around 12:40 or 1am:( my hearts broke, all the memories just keep flooding

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am so very sorry, Godspeed little one. Rora will live forever in your heart.

Reactions: roratherat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys so much for trying to help me through this, it means so much, I’m so glad this community of people exist because I would’ve been so lost without the comfort and help of you all, I’m still heartbroken I couldn’t even get responses from vets.❤ I miss her so much, haven’t stopped crying since, I woke up this morning looking for her for a few seconds and then I remembered I love you always rora.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m completely heartbroken, she randomly started breathing from her mouth I held her, she snuggled with me and I lost her:( my rora has passed away June 24 around 12:40 or 1am:( my hearts broke, all the memories just keep flooding
You did everything you could! It’s hard to find exotics vets anywhere and you tried your best. She’s at peace now. Sending love for you 💗

1 - 16 of 16 Posts