Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the little boys from my oops litter isn't doing well. He's always been the smallest, and never cuddled with the other rats, he'd be alone in a corner somewhere.

Over the past week, he's drastically lost weight. I came home this morning to find that he was having a really hard time breathing - he makes a clicking sound with every breath that he takes. He's still trying to run around and fight me. He's been eating and drinking....Nobody with rats has been in my house, I haven't been to see anyone or been to any pet stores in months, and I haven't introduced any new rats since they were born in July. Everyone else seems perfectly fine.

He's very cold, and the bottoms of his feet are purple.

Here's another problem - I leave for New York tonight for a week for work :(

I'm giving my roommate a link to this post in hopes that you can give him ideas for things to do. I wish I could be here myself, but there's no getting out of this trip. Neither I or my roommate have a car or money to take baby boy to the vet right now (work is paying for the trip).

I'm just so upset, and I'm gonna be calling my roomie every few hours for updates. I've never had a rat get sick before :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: I think one of my babies is dying :(

...Nevermind. He just passed in my hands :'(

·
Registered
483 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss--- its hard losing pets I know that I lost one rat already but tje three I have left are doing good. The male is doing much better after having an ear infection.

·
Registered
532 Posts

i'm so sorry :(
he was lucky to have such a good "rat mommy" while he was with you
i just lost a 3 month old to a stroke myself
it's very hard when they leave you :( :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

He was always smaller and weaker than the rest. I just really thought that he was ok, he went downhill so fast....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

I'm so sorry. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts

omg ppl talk about them dying in your hands and i would not be able to do it i am tearing up reading this

·
Registered
49 Posts

I'm sorry to hear what happened. You can't blame yourself though. I'm sure the little one was lucky to have a caring mommy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm still out of town and won't be flying back until tomorrow.

My roommates just called to tell me that Rupert, one of the babys, Little Kevin Bacon's brother, just passed away. He had been slowly losing weight for some time now, and always had a lot of poraphyn. He was always bigger and stronger than Little Kevin Bacon, the only weird thing was the excess poraphyn, but I hadn't thought it was bad enough to take him to the vet :(

I guess over the last few days he drastically lost a lot of weight, and my phone was missing so the roomies couldn't get ahold of me. Jordan cuddled Rupert for a good hour, and he seemed to really perk up. He put Rupert back in with his last brother, Dr Tran, and in the five minutes that he was gone, Rupert passed, and Dr. Tran had eaten half of his face *cringe*

So, I've lost another one of the boys from the July Oops litter exactly one week apart. I am so so so freaked out. Everyone's going to the vet when I get home, despite how healthy everyone else has always seemed. The only similarity I noticed in the two that've died (and all of the other boys that I've adopted out are doing fine, I called and checked) is that while the other 8 in the litter had smooth chests, Rupert and Little Kevin Bacon seemed to have a protrusion, that I noticed when they were about three weeks old.

I am so upset, I don't know what to do. I have both bodies in the freezer because I do plan to take them to the vet when I get some money to see if I can find out what it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts