Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
My name is Jackie and about a year ago fell in love with a feeder rat since I have snakes. I named him Littleman and he was severly inbreed, dumbo ears and gery, silver blue color. He was wonderful, but passed from pneumonia and since then I have had several, and 2 others passed away named Fabel and Princess. Princess and Littlemn have been cremated and Fabel and Cinderella will be too. Cinderella I had to put down. I now have only 4 females, because too many babies are born. I just want to learn more to provide a better home for them. They have a 3 story cage, continuous feeder and a water bottle on every level. They get baby carrots, fresh corn on the cob, treats, whole wheat bagels(soft and dried), steak/rib bones for their teath.

I know some of you may be against the feeder part of it. But I only support humane treatment and euthanasia. My pets are my pets only. I get teased quite a bit from the reptile community about naming my food. I love and respect all animals but also respect the balance of life, animal diet needs, and over population.

I have and could not imagine my life without!!
6 Parakeets
4 Rats
1 Bearded Dragon
2 Tarantulas
7 Snakes

Hope I can learn, make some new friends and that I have not offended anyone. I am hear to learn more about rats health and small symptoms that lead to pain, suffering and diseases of rats.

Thank you

Jackie

PS I tried to attach a picture of Princess and Littleman, but it aid to enable my cookies. Any help on that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
welcome.
no offense taken here :)

i work at a store that sells "feeder" and "pet" rats so i know what you are saying. i also own a snake ( used to be 4 ) and although some people may find it difficult to separate the two, i understand what you mean. i lovemy rats but can sell "feeders" to snake owners and put the love of rats aside to do so as all animals need to eat to survive. we eat animals all day so it would be hypocritical to say otherwise.
i hope you find what you need and are welcome by all :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is relieving that their are people wjo understand tha balance of life. Yes I eat meat as well:)

I am looking forward to learning more about my beloved rats. I starte because one of my favorite colors is silver/grey. So I ahve been over whelmed with them. I have 11 baby hoppers who willbe going to a new home.

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

May I ask where everyone lives? What pet sotre do you work at Nativemic?
Jennielove can you tell me about your beardie? Want anymore?

Seattle is my home for now.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well I live in California and my BF and I had gotten our beardie from a local pet store. When we got her she was only about 3-4 inch’s long tail and all...Now she’s over a foot long! She’s only 8 months so I expect her to get a tiny bit bigger. Her name is Feonix and she lives in a 50 gal terrarium.

Here she is as a baby (maybe a week after we got her):

Her Now:

There are so many more pictures! Shes fun to have :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bearded dragons are so much fun!! They are smart, social and so fun. My beardies name is Squish, she was a rescue that I adopted. She has her own heating pad, blanket and sleeps with me every night. She has a harness for out reaches and walks, lives in a 50 gallon, with rocks and a large water dish. My Beardie, birds and rats also have a TV to watch animal planet when I am at work. She loves people, and my Iggy, but hates other beardies, as she attacks and bites them. My pictures are too big to send here. Have you checked out www.pnwhs.org that is the Herp Society
in Seattle and has a forum as well.

Pets are the best, wat better the human companionship!!

Your baby is very cute and great markings!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum! Just a quick question about the bearded dragons, are they the same thing as a horned lizard? Cause i used to catch the things when i was a kid at my grand parents house in New Mexico. I took one look at the pics that were posted and it looked awfully familiar.

BTW....I understand what ya mean by knowing the food chain, but isn't it hard to feed a rat to the snakes when you keep rats as pets? I know that for a long time i wanted a snake but since i got my rat i don't think i could bring myself to own a snake. IDK, maybe its just me. Id feed em hamsters though.....evil little critters. LOL!

·
Registered
814 Posts
welcome welcome :D I have 2 snakes myself :D, Albino Florida Kingsnake (miami lol) and a California king (mosho) i don't feed them rats but i do some mice. OK i'll stop there because i still feel bad when i have to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I find it very difficult to have both knowing the cycle of life. So 99.9% of the time I feed frsh frozen thawed. They are breed and killed humanly with C02. It also makes my snakes a bit tamer and not so agressive. The freezing also kills aprasites and bacteria after 14 days, which is better for a captive snake. There imune systems are not built up for heavy parasites/bacteria like wild ones.

You could have a snake and buy frozen rodents. They are killed humanley.

As for the bearded dragon and horny toad, I know they look similar, but are differ. The bearded dragons are from Australia, so I dont even know if they are related. Might research that and let us know.

King420 said:
Hey, welcome to the forum! Just a quick question about the bearded dragons, are they the same thing as a horned lizard? Cause i used to catch the things when i was a kid at my grand parents house in New Mexico. I took one look at the pics that were posted and it looked awfully familiar.

BTW....I understand what ya mean by knowing the food chain, but isn't it hard to feed a rat to the snakes when you keep rats as pets? I know that for a long time i wanted a snake but since i got my rat i don't think i could bring myself to own a snake. IDK, maybe its just me. Id feed em hamsters though.....evil little critters. LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is well said "Animals are like potato chips"!! Dont I know that!!

As I stated in my last post, have you tried buying frozen rodents? When people breed them for food, they are well feed and nurished and killed humanley. The freezing also kills parasites and bacteria after 14 days or so.

Nazarath said:
welcome welcome :D I have 2 snakes myself :D, Albino Florida Kingsnake (miami lol) and a California king (mosho) i don't feed them rats but i do some mice. OK i'll stop there because i still feel bad when i have to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to share a picture as well of Littleman and Princess. Littleman was the feeder that stole my heart. I still miss him!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cute rats, they look alot like my Rocky, but Rocky is a lil bit darker. As for the rat-sickles, i heard about that but i also heard that snakes dont seem to like them.....i guess i heard wrong. Now that would make it a whole lot easier to have both a snake and a rat, knowing that the rats were killed humanely. Ummmm.....i guess i gotta look up the thing on the bearded dragon vs the horned lizard or "horny toad". now that i think about it i think the horned lizard is a lil bit wider. IDK, i gotta look in to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets us know and the dragons and toads.

Also if you ever need a resource for feeding frozen thawed, I am happy to help and we have a forum as well www.pnwhs.org
It is the Pacific Norhwest Herpetological Society

I am the Adoption Chair for the society as well. We are all glad to help!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She looks alot like Squish!! Here is Squish!! I love beardies!! I tried to attach, says it is too big. Very cute!!

loulou said:
Beardies are great aint they heres brian one of our females

http://www.dns-forums.co.uk/forum/uploads/post-21-11620553

56.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts