Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend had no ideas for his final project in shop class, so he decided to make something for the ratties!

We talked a little about it, he shot me ideas and I rat-proofed them.

The basic idea is two stories, the top one is gonna be a ledge, actually, with a little detatchable hidey place. The roof will the on hinges(or just straight up detatchable) for easy cleaning and rat-removal. It will have one large door(in the shape of a pentagon cut in half), two windows on the front and one on each other side, and a solid ramp up to the second ledge.

This is gonna take awhile but I had to gush about it, that made me soooooo happy and excited! -eeeee!-

Edit) Got so excited I forgot to type in my questions..xD;;

Alright, so, with the knowledge rat urine soakes into wood, would contact paper or a base coat of some kind be better? And if the base coat, what kind?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
you could use a latex paint to heavily coat all the wood surfaces when you're done, since it will provide a waterproof layer between the ratty pee and the wood. see if he can build his project with melamite (sp?), it's that plastic-coated particle board stuff you see on cheap built-it-at-home cabinets. if you paint, make sure it's super well ventilated before ratties call his project home. hope that helps. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts