Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Roxi is really starting to show her age. She's 2 years old now and has started getting really unstable on her feet. If she tries to clean her hips or near the back of her body (so she has to twist around to reach) she will fall over. She isn't as active and she is starting to lose weight (very gradual)

She is housed with her 2 year old sister, who isn't showing her age as much. And 3 very active 10 month old girls.

Because shes rather wobbly, the way the cage is laid out right now, isn't very easy for her. She struggles climbing up ropes and jumping from one hammock to another. I don't know what to do cage-wise!

Do i change the cage around to suit her needs? Or do i leave it? Or do i seperate her and put her in a smaller cage? (She's in a SRS (english version of the CN))

The younger girls are super hyper and agile all the time so i try and make the cage as interesting as possible for them.

What shall i do cage-wise?

Also, she's struggling with standing up on her hindlegs to drink from the bottle. She wobbles around all over the place. She does eat, but its very slowly. (Took her about 5 minutes to eat a nut)

I regularly go out and buy baby food and yogurt for her. She gets porridge too. What else could i give her?

Any tips for caring for an elderly rattie?
She's recently become incredibly cuddly so i'm spending as much time with her as possible :3

ImageUploadedByPG Free1421585385.357375.jpg

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you're really worried about her hurting herself but you still want the active ones to be able to play, maybe take the other older one and your older lady and put them in a separate cage? Then they could have less things to hurt themselves but she wouldn't be alone... The two older being together seems like the best plan, even if the other one isn't feeling her age as much.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking doing that...

I have two cages that i could put her and rosie in, if i choose to seperate them.

One is a 80cm long (not sure on the height) but its sold as a indoor guinea pig cage (far too small for guineas but okay) so its not very tall.

Or i have a rat cage thats suited for 2-3 rats. But its about the same height (roughly) as one section of my SRS... So its still quite a drop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts