Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
so sorry I haven't posted in a while but my rat tufty is quite elderly now and would be very grateful for some peoples opinions.

So, basically she is just over 2 years old, very healthy and very friendly. Until a few days ago when her eye became swollen with the side of her face and her teeth were wonky. So I gave her some baytril I had for a few days but it didn't help so I took her to the vet. She was very helpful but tufty wouldn't let her see properly so she said that her eye was too far gone to help via antibiotics. She would have to remove it in an operation an also investigate to see what is wrong. This is to cost around 200 quid! But she did say that it might have been from a fall or trauma or it could be something more serious. she also suggested that if it was too bad then they could just not wake her up and put her to sleep kindly.

So here is my dilemma:
do I A) go through with the operation/investigation even though because of her size it is very risky to have aesthetic but in the hope it is not serious and something can be done about it. Also if it is good news then she will still have to recover from this. However if I is uncurable they will put her to sleep painlessly but at the moment she is still very perky and happy. she is eating and drinking well and ran outside to play this evening.

or B) do I not go through with it and continue to give her painkillers and spend lots of time with her so that when she deteriorates she can be put to sleep. however if I do this I feel like I am not giving her a chance to live! however if I send her into the aesthetic op and it is bad news when she is still quite perky and she has to put to sleep then I feel I am cutting her life short!

I know rats have very short life spans and I can't bear the thought of losing her but if she is unhappy then of course I will act in her best interests - it is just hard to tell what they are at the moment. I don't want to risk an op if it is bad news but feel like I should give her a chance to get better.I also thought that if the illness was serious then she would have been more unwell by now. Her eye is protruding a lot and swollen and reddy white discharge is coming from it. Half of her face is also swollen and her teeth are twisted. I know she is 2 but she seems like she has got a lot of life left in her that's the thing. so any ideas or thoughts muchly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
If it does turn out to be bad news, can't the vet wake her up anyway and allow you to spend any remaining time with her that she has? If she's got good quality of life, even if the vet can't fix her, why does he have to put her to sleep NOW? I would think that you have a third choice here. She is your rat. So if you decide to go forward with the surgery and it turns out that it's not good news, I don't understand why she'd have to be put to sleep right then. If she can be woken up successfully, I think that's what I would want. She could have several more months of good quality life left in her. Then when the time comes, you'd be able to say your proper good-byes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies,
I will try and upload a photo tonight to help show what I mean.
LittleBird - thankyou for your suggestion. It was mainly because the vet bill would be quite expensive that the vet suggested she could do it at the same time to save money. But of course it is not about the money! I really would like to spend a little time with her still - as she is healthy and so friendly (she came and sat on my lap this morning!) The only thing I am thinking of this 3rd option is the risk involved with the anaesthetic as she is so small they have to use gas. Also my parents are paying the bill so I am not sure they would want to fork out 200 pounds to find it is bad news and the vet to bring her back round and her to die 2 days later (which is an possibility). I know I need to come to a decision soon though as she needs to be as healthy as possible for the best results in surgery. I really want what is best for her so I need to discuss with my parents :confused:
I have a lot of thinking to do!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If you can get the photo and it is a zymbals gland tumour/abcess then there's no point in surgery I'm afraid, it's a pts when she seems uncomfortable job. Hopefully it's a simple face abcess that just needs strong abs to fix though

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the help.
I took her to the vet again today, who suggested it was not worth the surgery as she is so old and very stressful for her. Also, there is no way of knowing from the operation if it is good or bad news because tissue has to be sent to lab and in that time she could die anyway. I thought that they could just take out her eye as it is past the point of saving with antibiotics. But he advised against this as it is tricky to operate on and there is a high risk from the gas they use to sedate her could kill her.
So I have decided against surgery - she is on baytril and metacam painkillers so she isn't suffering. Also this might help her. The vet said pts is the best option as her eye could rupture which would be a very painful end. However she is still very healthy and happy at the mo, so I think I will leave her to see how she is. Obviously if she deteriorates or her eye ruptures I will get her pts ASAP. We have a slot booked for this Wednesday :( but might cancel depending how she is.
About the pictures - I got some last night but they wouldn't load on computer :mad: since then her eye has actually changed. It looks better but it is breaking down and coming off in gungy white drops - I will try get a pic soon. Also the swelling around her eye has gone down a little but I think this is due to white liquid being produced. Also her side of her face has gone down a little, but her teeth are still twisted and at funny angles. She is eating and drinking well but I will keep you posted on her progress.
Thanks for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts