Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO Loki has a follow up vet appointment on saturday. The way things are going I'm very worried that their gonna tell me the best thing to do is to put him to sleep. His teeth are getting pretty long though. Like he just lays there all day with his head hanging down and I think that's why. Because of his teeth.But I guess he's too weak to chew wood to grind them down. He does still grind his teeth as all rats do but it seems to be just sharpening them. I'm worried that they'll grow to long and piece him before he goes to the vet on saturday because I've already scheduled him to have his teeth cut if he lives. My question is:is there anything I can do to slow down his teeth growing or file them down somehow? Am I worrying too much about nothing? I realize you probably can't answer that without a picture of his teeth but that's kinda hard to do with one person.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Teeth trimming only needs to be done if the teeth are maloccluded/misaligned. You can either schedule regular teeth trimmings so he never has to be in discomfort, or if he is healthy enough, surgically removing the incisors is possible as well. Sometimes a vet can show you how to trim teeth at home, and while some people do it, you really have to know what you're doing, otherwise it can end terribly.

Also, if you're worried he may not live until Saturday because of his teeth, he needs to get in a lot sooner. I would call the vet's office and tell them it's an emergency and try to work out a new appoint, or a time you can drop him off (sometimes this happens if it's busy and they'll get to the critter when able).

·
Registered
953 Posts
If they are long they can be clipped by the vet. I had a male rat about a decade ago who lived to be quite the old man, he was fairly active-as in could still make it up ramps-but he stopped caring for his teeth and we went in every few months (I don't remember the exact timeframe-but I think like 6-8 weeks abouts) to the vets for a clipping. He never seemed stressed about it. I however was too big of a wimp to want to do it myself, so cant' really help you there. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teeth trimming only needs to be done if the teeth are maloccluded/misaligned. You can either schedule regular teeth trimmings so he never has to be in discomfort, or if he is healthy enough, surgically removing the incisors is possible as well. Sometimes a vet can show you how to trim teeth at home, and while some people do it, you really have to know what you're doing, otherwise it can end terribly.

Also, if you're worried he may not live until Saturday because of his teeth, he needs to get in a lot sooner. I would call the vet's office and tell them it's an emergency and try to work out a new appoint, or a time you can drop him off (sometimes this happens if it's busy and they'll get to the critter when able).
Th thing with saturday is that's the earliest I could go. I get paid thursday night so I could go friday but If we have to put him to sleep I'm going to be really upset and I'm not gonna want to go to work which i guess isn't awful. I'm definitely calling to see if they have any earlier appointments. His teeth I believe are slightly misaligned because his vet in I talked about that at his last visit. And I'm really not sure if I'm just being overly concerned or not about how fast his teeth will grow. I don't know if I should be worried about him not making it to saturday. If he dies before then though I don't think it will be because of his teeth. (He has another serious issue the teeth are just a side problem) I have a really over active imagination, a mind that always manages to come up with the worst, most horrific possible situation and then only thinks of that situation, and I'm always worried about any and everything; always. I can't help but worry.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of his teeth. Sorry for the bad quality. I wish it was clearer but this is the best that I could do. I literally took this lean backwards upside down inside their cage so. Any way I hope this helps. At the very least at least you can see his bottom teeth and how high they come up. He's laying with his mouth open which is usually how he sleeps now. I hope this helps.

View attachment 185546

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Rat teeth grow extremely quickly, so if he has stopped taking care of them himself due to his illness then he likely needs a little help by trimming. Teeth that long can make it hard for him to eat, which if he's recovering from an illness is definitely not what you want at all.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if they do it under anesthetic or not but they do trim teeth and he has an appointment tomorrow at 415 they might be putting him to sleep since he hasn't gotten any better though. He's starting to go through hind end degeneration too he's not doing good at all

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Unfortunately, he does look very ill on top of the teeth issue. And from what you've said, it doesn't sound like he's happy currently. Unless there's something he has that's causing this and is treatable with meds (like an upper respiratory infection), putting him to sleep might be the kindest thing you can do. :(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Poor little Loki. Would they trim them under anaestetic? Just thinking if would handle the Anaestetic with him not being so well.
They don't have to be under anesthetic. Unless the rat was really freaking out about being handled, it isn't necessary. It's generally a very quick and easy procedure - a lot of people do it at home with dog nail clippers, even.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, he does look very ill on top of the teeth issue. And from what you've said, it doesn't sound like he's happy currently. Unless there's something he has that's causing this and is treatable with meds (like an upper respiratory infection), putting him to sleep might be the kindest thing you can do. :(
Yes he is very ill on top of the teeth. The vet appointment he has tomorrow is a follow up to see if the meds he was put on have helped (which I'm pretty sure they haven't) and we'll go from there but I suspect as bad as it has gotten that will be what the vet recommends.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.