Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks the first day of our adventure of rattie owners. We picked the girls up this morning and my children were so excited! My boys, who are 10 and 8, picked out their names. They are 6 months old and sweet. We "rescued" them in a way. Their owners are moving out of state and couldn't take them with them. The family had kids so I figured why not. So far the girls are settling in nicely. They are a little spooked but an hour car ride and new enviroment can do that to anyone. They came with their cage ( a rat manor). It is spacious but I need to add fleece to the wire levels. I am going to pick up fleece tomorrow. For now I made a couple of quick hammock out of some knit fabric I had laying around and put a couple of extra pieces in the cage for them to curl up on. They love the hammocks and have made little beds out of the fabric.

They are great with my kids, the only downside is that the previous owners fed the girls treats through the cage so they think fingers are treats and they bite unintentionally. Needless to say my oldest had to test the "don't srick your fingers through the cage rule" and he got bit. I am hoping we can break this habit.

As they get settled in, I will get better pictures of them out of their cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure if it will work for you but when I was teaching my boys not to bite through the bars (I feed them treats that was sometimes to) I put yogurt or honey on my finger. They would try and bite it to pull it through but quickly realize it was attached and they could just lick it off. Now they have learned the difference between fingers and food. They still put there mouths on my fingers but realize it's not food quickly!
Good luck and congratulations on your girls!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts