Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd drop a hello to everyone on here, and hope to participate in some rattie discussions soon. I'm 28 years old, male, and eight months ago brought a pair of sisters home from the pet store, and have been hooked ever since.

How we ended up with them is a bit of a fun story... back in school, I used to work with rats (nothing harmful mind you. It was all behavioral training based on rewarding behaviours, and we had a great professor who taught us all to love the little critters... I taught my little friend how to dance on her hind legs when she wanted food, and in the end the ras were all adopted by the students). So my girlfriend and I went out for dinner on our anniversary, and somehow I got to telling her about my rat that I worked with, and how much fun she was. She was skeptical, but suggested that we go and see a rat at a pet store, just so she could get an idea of what they were like. Keep in mind, there was no intention to bring anybody home. :)

So, visiting three pet stores later, we finally find one with rats. I bend down and put my face up to the cage and begin my: "see, they're not so bad..." speech, when one of them cautiously creeps out of her hiding spot, walks right up to my face and gives my nose a little lick through the bars.

Half an hour later we're walking out of the store with both of the rats they had in the store, and a tonne of toys for them. Every day they make us smile or laugh, as they discover new things, or just so desperately want to be with us. We have "rat shirts" that we wear... big hoodies of mine that I don't wear too much anymore, and the girls love nothing more than riding around in the hood all day, watching the action around them. Mokey makes it hard to type sometimes, as apparently pushing the keys on my keyboard and chasing my fingers as I'm working is the funnest game in the world, and Boobers just wants to sit with my girlfriend every chance she gets.

So, that's how we came to have our little family here, and why I'm on your forum now, so I can talk to other people who "get" these amazing little creatures.

So... a long winded hello from Vancouver BC!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello, Schmea, welcome to the forums!

Please take a moment to read the site rules and enjoy your stay! :)

You were very brave sticking your nose in the bars of the cage of a rat you didn't know! :lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
hi & welcome to the forums!
your ratty story is so cute..it's always fun when people who don't really know about rats are converted to loving them. :]
i am also from Vancouver BC. West coast forever. haha. :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DonnaK said:
you were very brave sticking your nose in the bars of the cage of a rat you didn't know! :lol:
To be honest it didn't feel brave at the time... she came towards me so slow and hesitantly that I was more concerned with scaring her than anything. But I did get lucky... and that's continued with these two ever since.

Besides... maybe I could afford to lose a little bit of nose. ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Schmea said:
But I did get lucky... and that's continued with these two ever since.
Ooh! We like success stories! :D

Schmea said:
Besides... maybe I could afford to lose a little bit of nose. ;)
I'm with you on that one... me, I mean, not you! Perhaps it would be cheaper than surgery, too :lol:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
aww thats such a cute story! the pet store i went so looked like there were no rats in the cage, but when she took out the wheel they were buried and piled, it was adorable! yet out of all of them, ozzy seemed the cutest. we were told they were all sisters, but im not sure about that.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts