Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took one of my boys into the vet a few weeks ago because I suspected that he was starting to get Myco. He was sneezing often and breathing loudly and I was so worried. The vet said his lungs were clear and that he did not have URI. The vet said he had an elongated soft palette that makes noise whenever he breathes. Has anyone ever heard of this? It still doesn't make sense as to why he sneezes so often.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've never heard of that. I think I might actually ask my vet about that the next time I visit her. Have you rat phoned him? When you rat phone a rat (put his chest area next to your ear) you can usually tell if they have myco or not. I would go see another vet if I were you though for a second opinion. I've honestly never heard of a soft palette before. I'm going to put up what wiki gave me. Basically it looks like it's just a part of the roof of the mouth. If that part is elongated though then there should still be no reason for him to sneeze or be congested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_palate

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
While it occurs in rats, my research (mostly on dogs) is showing it requires a sedated animal for a proper diagnosis. Is your vet an exotics vet? Was anything prescribed or any prognosis?

His lungs may very well be clear, but he could have some nasal congestion (Upper Resp, not Lower). He could need a anti-inflammatory and be fine, or he may need an antibiotic like baytril. It's important to assess his symptoms and treat anything because a URI can become worse with a secondary infection (pneumonia) / can lead to increased damage to lung tissue.

·
Registered
966 Posts
We see it often in dogs. Breeds that have "smushed faces" like pugs, French bull dogs, Boston terriers, etc.. Not to say that it can't happen, but sounds unusual for a rat. Soft palate is the "dangling flap attached to the roof of your mouth at the back of your throat. An elongated one is that it is too long or thick and makes it alittle more difficult to breathe. And causes noisy breathing. Surgery is how to correct the elongated soft palate. Has your rattie always had noisy breathing since you've had him? Has he always had excessive sneezing and congestion? If it is a recent onset of these problems and hadn't been long term than I might would get a second opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts