Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few minutes ago I was letting my rat play around in my room freely while I cleaned out the cage. I heard a really loud scream come from underneath my bed. At first I thought she was playing with her sister but then she repeatedly screamed as if she was hurting. i quickly ran over to find her and she had got her tail stuck in between the bed and head board. I carefully pushed it back and she was free, but now she has an open wound on her tail. I don't know f I should leave it to heal its self or I should use something on it?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Can you post a picture? I would rinse it gently with warm water and leave it alone. Switch her bedding to towels for the next week to keep it clean, and rinse it as you can. Don't put neosporin on, and if she looks in particular discomfort she will need meds for pain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she would allow me to touch her tail I would take a picture but she dosen't like me touching it I tried to rise her in warm water and she squills really loud like it's hurting her. She I dried her off and placed her back in the cage she seem to be alright as long as I don't try and mess with the end of her tail.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If she seems to be fussing it a lot (grooming it or biting on it) or seems hunched and spiky furred then I'd put her on some infent ibuprofen suspension for the pain. If not then i'd try and get some antisceptic on it twice a day (chlorohexidine is good for this, found in things like purple spray, bluecote, hibiscrub etc) this should help stop it getting infected.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She doesn't seem to mess with it very much from what I have seen. But I will be keeping a close eye on it through out until it is fully healed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts