Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rat isabela is 2 and a half years and has a URI which i have treated as best as i could for as long as ive had her, but has just recently begun having awful flare ups causing her to rasp and squeak and hang her head, and leaving her lethargic. just today she seems to have lost almost all of her energy, and is not eating or drinking much of anything and just seems to want to sleep in my lap these past two days rather than play like she usually does. i know she will not recover dont know whether to have her put down now, because she is still having bursts of energy today where she acts like her old self again and it feels wrong to take her in to have her put to sleep when she still seems to have at least some life in her. i want to do whats best with her but i am running out of tears to cry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to mention that i have called to find out about putting her back on antibiotics that i had her on when she was little, but am unable to take her to her regular vet because i just moved out of state. the only small animal vet in my new city will charge 200 dollars to see her and i simply cant afford it and i hardly think it will do her good with the shape shes in now

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you can't see a vet how are you planning to put her down? I am not trying to be rude, but if your ratty is suffering and you can't treat her or put her to sleep she will suffer until she passes. That's not fair.
You have to convince this vet to see your rat:

You can try to talk to the vet and ask them how much can they charge for at least the euthanasia. Tell them how much money you have and that your ratty is suffering; they might open up, you never know.

When I have a veterinary emergency and don't have money to pay the same day, I go beg the vets and promise to pay later, which of course I do (right now I owe a vet some money which I plan to pay as soon as I have the money). Or one or two times I took the money I had, and told them that I had the emergency and all the money I had was that. My animals were never refused at the vet's using this method.

I know you already called them, but I think it's worth a try going anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, i meant to see her for an appointment and to prescribe her medication. the euthanasia will be significantly less money than the appointment would be.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Then you have a choice to make.

I hope letting her suffer without a treatment is not an option. Maybe call another vet, even if they don't specialize in rodents, and hand them a medication chart for rats (there's a link in the forum to one, try to look it up) so they can prescribe you the medication for your rat friend. Please hurry. Not only she will die if she doesn't get her treatment, but she'll suffer and gasp for air until she passes. She depends on you to live happy or die without suffering.

Hope you find the happiest solution to this. All my love to your ratty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought i would give an update on how shes doing. she started to perk up a little. i had scheduled a euthanasia appointment but when i got there she was acting active and greeted the doctors with kisses and they offered to give her a checkup at a reduced cost. they told me all that was wrong with her was her breathing and that she was otherwise a healthy rat, and gave me some antibiotics. the trip totalled around 50 dollars rather than the 200 i had expected and my fiance chipped in with some of the expense. today she seems happy and playful and has been taking treats from us and jumping and climbing like usual. i know the medicine would not have worked yet but she is already better than shes been the past few days. i am hopeful that she has a few more months left in her even though she has lived a full life she still seems to have a lot of will to keep going and seems like she may perk up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Medication usually works fast on rats, or that's what I've read. Even if she feels better don't stop the meds. It should be given for at least 2 weeks or even more.

I am very glad that your girl is doing better! Keep good care of her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i need help again. she is only taking her medicine when mixed with yogurt, and that is also now the only food she will eat. she eats it willingly but not very much. im mixing it with baby food and crushed grains to try to give her some nutrition but shes just not drinking. she has some energy and will play occasionally but not much and mostly just wants to sleep on me. i know reduced appetite and drowsiness are baytril side effects but im not sure if this is that. her breathing does sound somewhat better but i cant tell if shes really going to recover. do you guys think its time to let her go? or should i keep trying to get her to eat and drink what she will? this is taling the life out of me

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can always force the medicine into her mouth behind the teeth with a syringe with no needle. The baytril you are giving her is liquid or a pill?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Of course just a tiny drop at a time. If it's the pill presentation, crush it and mix it with a few drops of water or some apple juice and put a drop at a time behind her teeth. She will swallow it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts