Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About more than a week ago I got two new Dumbo's. One for me and one for my sister. My sisters dumbo (Sebastian) is pretty little and an albino. When we first got him he was very anti-social and timid. Over the past week he has started to leak that red stuff (know what it is but can't remember the name) and has lost a lot of weight even though my sister says she has heard him eating at night. It's all over his paws, nose, and one of his eyes is crusted and sunk in. He doesn't act tired or anything. My sister is seeing if our vet treats rats and is wondering if there is anything we can do for him until then?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
off baby food, play rattaphone if you can (hold rat up to ear to see if you can hear wheezing) and possibly take a warm shower with him. also try to offer Pedialyte to make sure hes drinking. if he seems to be in pain try baby aspirin if you can find the correct dosage. Also possibly look into whether or not there are e vets near you just in case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahat do you mean by "off baby food?". And he isn't wheezing (he's also jugging water right now. I told my sister that when he is done to check that the water thing is working properly). My sister is going to try the warm shower thing but she's not sure how to go about that. Like, does she hold him while in the shower?

·
Registered
53 Posts
offer* sorry. If hes lost weight if can be a good way to pack on calories, or pasta. I generally just run a very hot shower while Im in the bathroom with them otherwise the water stresses them out a lot. (although I have had Dill in the shower with me, but he's crazy!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooh ok. She'll get some baby food tomorrow and do the shower thing. Turns out his water bottle was pretty suck-ish too (was letting water out but not much) so I let him borrow the one for my rats. Thank you so much! I had this issue with one of my older rats, Ellie, but it never got this bad so I was kind of lost =/

·
Registered
270 Posts
The red stuff is poryphin and large quantities of it usually indicates a health problem. It sounds like he's pretty sick. The shower would just be a stopgap measure until you get him to a vet. Don't force the shower; being in a loud and steamy room absolutely terrifies some rats and that stress is just gonna make things worse. If he seems scared or uncomfortable, just take him out of the bathroom. And yeah, don't hold him in or near the water, just keeping him in the room so the steam helps clear his airway. A humidifier will also work and is probably safer.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Try pinching the skin on his neck lightly, the sunken eye thing makes me think he may well be dehydrated and if that water bottle was broken its likley. Make sure to always offer 2 bottles or a bottle and a bowl (the type of bowl that clips to the side of the cage is best) as this avoids the risk of a rat getting no water. The baby food will help hydrate him, but unless hes making respiratory noises theres no point steaming him (thats where you put him in a room with a shower on).

Otherwise has he got any other symptoms?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts