Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emergency on Oahu: Aloha all! I am desperate to find help! I am new to the rat forum to find immediate adoption to my beloved sweet 3yr old Oliver, and his 1.5yr old companion, Bear, both Dumbo males. My Marine Corps Veteran husband and I have to suddenly move off island in 3 weeks and I am desperate to find an experienced and loving rat owner. 4 level cage, toys and food come with adoption. I want so much to bring them with me on airplane but do not think elderly Oliver would make the long 13hour/3 plane change, journey. Airline will not allow "carry on" pet rat:( I am very attached to my very smart and rediculously affectionate Oliver Twist. He is fragile but greets me every time I pass his cage. He is white and mocha and can be handled...but very carefully because of his age. His companion, Bear is more shy and doesn't like to be handled but likes gentle head pets and hand feeding. Bear is very beautiful, black with white flanks. Please help me find someone on Oahu Hawaii to take my darlings, especially my elderly Oliver. Contact me at (808) 381-5940 or email me at [email protected] for immediate response! Mahalo in advance!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Hi, I'm on the wrong side of the world to be much use to you, but I've shipped exotic tropical fish air cargo... believe it or not the plane ride isn't too bad... It's the tarmac you have to worry about. Basically you have to pretty much deliver your rats to the air cargo hanger to be loaded on the airplane and have someone on the other end to pick them up... Or they will sit somewhere hot or cold or otherwise not good...

That and you have to make sure that they get routed on a direct flight.... Someone routed a box of tropical fish to me on a flight that did a stop over and plane change in Alaska in December... Remember the tarmac rule... The plane was heated... the tarmac in Alaska... was well below freezing...

I do hope you find a loving family for your rats, but if you don't, you do have options. I realize that it's a logistical hassle... but Marines are resourceful. The plane is heated and pressurized and is pretty much a safe place for your rats and 13 hours is just a long nap for an elderly rat... The cost isn't too bad... Something like $50.00 as I recall for a big box of fish. But the moment the wheels of the plane hit the ground all kinds of bad things start to happen... Some airlines and airports are really good... some aren't. If it's going to be cold or hot (New Mexico in the summer) for example... you absolutely have to have someone there when the plane touches down. But if you do it right, it will likely be just fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts