Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Kirby has been showing rapid deterioration over the past week. Kirby is a two year old male(turning two on the 29th) and is usually a very energetic little boy. Over the past week he has become very ill. I noticed when I was giving him his veggies around a week ago he was very lethargic. Usually, when I give the boys their big plate of veggies they are super excited and run to get them. Kirby still showed interest in his food, but wanted me to hand pieces to him. When he would get the pieces, he would only nibble. He eventually woud come down to eat. I then started to notice he wasn't sleeping in his cage anymore(I built the boys a large pen so they can roam around). He started to stay in a pile of fleece and covers. He would still come out when I called for him. Over the past two days, things have really deteriorated. He lost a lot of weight and has porphilyn on his nose and arms. He still comes when called, but has an issue walking. He is walking very low to the ground(weak limbs), and is falling over quite a bit. He was still cleaning himself yesterday, but when I saw him today he was having issues. Yesterday I put some applesauce, water, and smushed banana next to his laying spot. He still has an appetite and ate it. I've also started hand feeding him baby food. I am scared. My parents think it might be too late to take him to the vet. I don't know what to do. List of symptoms...-weak limbs- very lethargic-porphilyn around nose and arms- not grasping food- tiny nibbles(having issues chewing)-falling over-rapid weight loss-Idk if this is a symptom but while I was baby wiping him, I noticed his testiciles were kind of deflated( I am sorry, I do not know the correct terminology)He seems to be a little more curious and interested when I hand feed him. Please help. I have researched his symptoms yesterday and I believe it could be a pituitary tumor. He has no fluid coming from his ears so I don't believe it is an ear infection. Is there anything I can do to make him comfortable? Do you think my parents are right and it I'd too late to go to the vet? I still think we should but judging his rapid deterioration, my parents think he does not have much time left at all and just want to make him comfortable. Do you think it is a pituitary tumor? Thank you for your help! This forum had always been there for all my questions.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It might not be to late just take him to a vet ASAP. I hope he feels better

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Fluid doesn't necessarily come from the ears for an ear infection. How is his forelimb grip, can he climb cage bars?

A vet can help cure an ear infection or can provide medicine to make him comfortable with a PT. Additionally, if it is a PT it could get a lot worse so it may be more humane to euthanize ahead of time. Athena was pts about a week or two after her diagnosis because once symptoms display it goes downhill fast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. His forelimb grip is not good at all. He can not pick up his food to eat and he will not climb anything. He tries to walk, he really wants to, but is not successful. When he walks it looks like he is dragging himself. He also falls over must of the time. Do these symptoms also happen for an ear infection? Also what are the stages of a pt? I agree that I should take him to a vet. What is the point when a pt can not be helped by meds?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm really sorry that this is happening. There really isn't much of anything a vet can do for PT. A lot of people get their rat PTS shortly after the diagnosis because it goes downhill fast and the quality of life is so poor.

I've never personally been through this but I have read quite a bit about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirby died at 12 today in my arms. I took him out around 11 to feed him baby food. He didn't eat it. He layed on a blanket, in my arms until he died. In the end, he had a seizure. I'm grateful I got to hold him during his final moments. It was hard to see him suffer. Thank you all for your support. Should I let his brothers see his body?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts