Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry if this is in the wrong section) Im the biggest idiot in the world and just realized one of my boys is a girl. they have not been separated since birth and are about 5-6 weeks now. I just separated them. How likely is it that my girl is pregnant? Also can I get my boy neutered this young? if so i will be doing it within the week.

What should I be looking for with my girl? She's not really nesting as far as I can tell and seems to boss the boy around? not sure if that makes a difference. I take them out every day and just noticed her nipples/ lack of testicles. Also the male has two scabs (?) on the backs of his testicles.

If they are separated for a week will I have to reintroduce them? Will they hate each other? Currently they are running around looking for each other and my heart is breaking. I put some of the stuff from the cage they shared into the bin I have the boy in so they can still smell each other? Should i switch their stuff around in the two cages everyday so they still smell one another?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm freaking out right now.
Please do not talk down to me/ try to reprimand me. I am only looking for help right now, and if you knew me personally you'd know that the well being of other animals is the thing I value most in life. I am well aware that I made a very stupid mistake.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Female rats don't always show that they are pregnant until week 3 (rat gestation is 21 days approx) Since she is so young you might want to take her to the vet and get Galastop which terminates pregnancy (according to other posts on this forum) There is a chance that she might not be pregnant but I wouldn't bet on it. Rats become fertile at about 5-6 weeks old so with them living together it's likely that she is pregnant. I'm not sure about how young you can neuter your male but if you are willing to wait you may want to consider spaying the female instead as it greatly reduces her risk of mammary tumors. Again I don't know the age. I don't think that they will hate each other after a week, you may need to keep an eye out for fighting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Right now i need to go with the quickest, cheapest option. I wasn't planing on having girls because I knew Id want to spay them. Also these are my only 2 rats and i don't want them to both be alone for any long period of time. I will take them both to the vet ASAP, which might not be till thursday. My mom might be able to take her to work and get an Xray just to see if she's pregnant but thats it cause she's not an exotics tech.

Also do you think its ok if i let them see each other for a few minuets each day while their in my lap? Id make sure that nothing happens, Just so they still see each other?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I personally would avoid any and all contact between them rats can mate in a really short period of time it's a little crazy really.... I would go with the toy/hammock switching instead. The neuter would probably be cheaper, though possibly less beneficial to the rat. I would suggest talking to your vet and seeing the cost difference for the procedures, risk, recovery time, age limit, etc. before deciding which to do.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Neuters are great if one of your rats is super agressive or you want to reduce the risk of tumors even more. Spaying really is the most health benificial because most female will get a mammory tumor and you can reduce that risk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that but unfortunately my family is tight for money right now and my babies are not happy being separated. I really need to do the quickest and cheapest at the moment. I will talk to my vet to see what the prices are as I really would like to get her spayed, and my boy shows no aggression. Does anyone know when a rat can be safely spayed? And what if she is pregnant, can she have galastop then be spayed right after?

Thank you both and I would love more advice if anyone has it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You still have a chance she's not pregnant.

And don't feel bad. Oopsie gender mix ups happen. That's EXACTLY how I had my oopsie litter--we thought our girl was a boy that had not hit puberty yet. Her urethra was uncommonly far from her anus for a female, to the point where no less than five people (one was a rat breeder) thought she was a boy for a long time.

Till I caught them mating. That sealed the deal.

Anyhow, my male/female pair didn't mate until she was much older than 5 weeks. She was almost two months, in fact. So like I said--there's hope that she's not yet pregnant.

Even if she is, if you spay her, they can end the pregnancy in the process.

Rats can be safely spayed and neutered at their age. The younger the better, since they heal fast when they're little, according to my vet. Neuters cost less than spays, but spays have the benefit of extending female lifespans.

DO NOT let the little ones hang out together, though, even with you in the middle. Keep their cages close to each other, as they can't mate through bars. But even in your lap--rats are FAST about mating. Watch a video on youtube about it if you don't believe me. No matter how much you might want to let them hang out, they will make some little babies if she's in heat and they meet. Your reflexes are nothing compared to theirs. :D

Also, as long as their cages are near each other, they should be fine when they're reintroduced. It shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts