Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rat was flailing around under a blanket and then fell off her cage and started drooling, then started acting completely normal. But then her breathing sounded a little worse (she has been sneezing the past couple days but I was waiting to see if it got worse before starting her on meds). Then she peed blood! Like pure blood, not just slightly bloodly.

Any idea what just happened/what is wrong?

All the vets in my area that know anything about rats are always booked full so I either have to wait a few days, or see a vet who won't know what happened or what to do.

Any insight you can provide will help me figure out how to get her treated properly.

I am freaking out. Please help!

Edit: Was the flailing a seizure, choking or a stroke or something? I couldn't see well because she was under a blanket.

·
Registered
119 Posts
personally i would be concerned that the the fall has caused internal damage, how far did she fall and is there any chance she could of eaten anything she shouldnt of? peeing blood is an extreamly bad sign and can indicate life threatening issues which require immediate medical attention. How is she in herself?

amy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is a chance the flailing that made her fall isn't even related to the peeing blood and there are two things wrong?! The fall was a few feet. I don't think she ate anything bad. She is acting totally normal.

Would a vet unfamiliar with rats be able to handle an internal injury type thing?
If I could somehow convince a good rat vet to see her tomorrow would that be too late?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are you sure she's peeing blood and it's not coming from her vagina? I'm not very certain of the symptoms but pyometra could cause bleeding from the uterus in female rats from what I understand.

I would set her up with an appointment with the best vet you can find as soon as you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fairly positive it was pee. I took her into the bathroom and steamed it up in hopes it would help her breathing but it seemed to scare her (she is my most timid) so she did a couple poops and then peed. The pee looked like pure blood, not just bloody pee. I ended up putting her back with her sisters because she was freaked out. I just checked and there was normal (not bloody) pee near her but it could have been another rat.

Extra info: I got them all spayed a couple/few months ago. Oh also some of her brothers and sisters had neurological issues (but it was supposed to be just that stress made them run in circles?) but none of the rats I took were supposed to. Is it possible she does have the neurological issues and it gave her a seizure or something?

She is my least social rat and is fairly timid so it's hard to examine her or anything like that. I probably shouldn't have put her back with sisters because now it's harder to monitor her but I didn't want to stress her out too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts