Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen countless threads saying to get Ensure for a rat that is sick or dehydrated, or skinny, etc which my rat is all three ;-; but for the life of me no one says what kind of Ensure to buy. There's like.. several different types (I was just at the store lol).

The last thing I want to do is make my rat worse, so if I need to take this stuff back I will. This is what I bought, is this the "right" kind? And how much should I feed him, he weighs around 300-350 grams.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/diet-nutrit...lus-strawberries-and-cream-shake-skuid-143404

Dehydration Questions: He won't drink water by himself, but he will take food mixed with water from a syringe. How often should I feed/hydrate him and how much does he need to take in per session to be properly hydrated?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Giving them Ensure can't possibly make them worse. What I would do in this situation is give him as much Ensure as he will take at a time, he knows how much he wants. I would try to find a type of Ensure that had the least amount of calories and sugar because I wouldn't want anything TOO fatty or full of sugar.

Feed him avocado, it's fatty, nutritional, and very good for sick rats, just don't feed him the greener parts that are close to the skin. Baby food is also really good, just make sure there's no lemon juice in the ingredients.

Also, has he been to the vet? Vet visits are intimidating and expensive, but it is ALWAYS worth it to go. They may be able to pick up on something you haven't yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts