Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a litter of baby rats, I got the mother from the pet store and didn't know she was pregnant. The babies are about eight weeks old so the males and females are in different cages, but they are still in the same room.

I was away for a week and I had my dad clean the cages while I am away, but he is not experienced with cleaning and I didn't expect him to do a full wash down of the cage. So when I came back home they were overdue for a thorough cleaning. Way overdue, like, it stank to the high heavens.

We cleaned both cages outside with the hose and used a spray called 'Whip it' which is a natural cleaner. We are sure we washed off all of the cleaner though. We replaced the bedding with the normal fleece we always used.

A few hours after the cleaning I noticed that the rats from both cages are sneezing. It sounds like it is a lot, but I do have ten rats in there so it could just be just one or two sneezes per rat. Apart from the sneezing, the rats are acting normal. Still running around and begging for love. What happened? Did I miss some of the cleaner? Or are they just getting used to being back in a clean cage again?​

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Its possible that there resp system was irritated by the high levels of urea pre clean out. If it doesn't settle in a day or two, or any start grunting I would get them on septrin or amoxycillin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts