Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just got my two young girls (about 7 weeks) two days ago and everything has been going fine so far with bonding. They are a bit skittish but I’ve been able to hold them, have then run up into my hair, feed them while holding them. They have been getting some play fighting in to establish their hierarchy but I’m not sure if it’s too frequent or too much as the dominant one will zoom around the cage and jump on the other, and make sudden movements. The less dominant one will be climbing the sides of the cage and the other will run up and start pulling on her ear. She doesn’t squeak but she does close her eyes. I also gave them a sock I’ve worn around to have my smell in their cage and when the dominant one discovered it, she started rolling, chewing and smothering it with her body, then started zooming around the cage, jumping on the other and popcorning. Is this normal behavior? It also seems the dominant one has pushed the other out of the hut they shared the last few days as the less dominant one is in the banana downstairs. They woke up together this morning so I don’t know if there have been any developments while not been at work. I don’t want the bigger one to bully the other. Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you get the two from the same place/ were they in the same cage? The most important thing is are they drawing blood?
A good rule of thumb is: if they aren't drawing blood, it's probably fine. I hand-wrestle with my male rat, Whiskers, quite a bit, and when I do, he gets really excited and popcorns around. Now, he never play bites me, but I'm like a bazillion times bigger than him. It's like dogs, sort of. My dog play bites me when I'm wrestling with her. It doesn't really hurt. Your rat could be closing her eyes to show that she accepts the dominance of the other rat.
And with the sleeping thing, I would guess that some rats just need some personal space/alone time.

Also, have you realized how bizarre the phrase "the less dominant one is in the banana downstairs"? :LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the two from the same place/ were they in the same cage? The most important thing is are they drawing blood?
A good rule of thumb is: if they aren't drawing blood, it's probably fine. I hand-wrestle with my male rat, Whiskers, quite a bit, and when I do, he gets really excited and popcorns around. Now, he never play bites me, but I'm like a bazillion times bigger than him. It's like dogs, sort of. My dog play bites me when I'm wrestling with her. It doesn't really hurt. Your rat could be closing her eyes to show that she accepts the dominance of the other rat.
And with the sleeping thing, I would guess that some rats just need some personal space/alone time.

Also, have you realized how bizarre the phrase "the less dominant one is in the banana downstairs"? :LOL:
Lol That does sound quite bizarre, good thing I haven’t hung it up yet or I’d be calling it the banana hammock 😂.
It’s been a few days since I posted this and they are doing really well now. They snuggle and play fight each other and wrestle my hands. They sleep together now and groom each other nonstop. I guess I was just a little nervous. They came from the same breeder and were kept in the same enclosure with babies of the same age from other litters. thank you for the response!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts