Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I feel like crap. I just got home from a new job, only to find my little sister telling me that Engels escaped. And, yeah. Apparently, she was giving them treats, and he just kinda jumped out. Which is pretty frickin' awesome, if you think about it.

Thing is, I have no idea how to get him back. He's just gone, probably forever. If we don't magically find him soon, I expect him to go feral in our houses walls, or get killed by my cat (or my sister's). Any other options? This happened to me when I was a kid. I guess I have bad luck with rats (no other animal has every escaped from me... Of course, none have wanted to).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Okay, first of all, calm down a bit, being fatalistic won't help you find him.

Try leaving out bits of food he likes (the treats) and then checking to see which have been nibbled. THat will tell you what room he's in. If you can trust putting the cage on the floor, coming to see his buddy might lure him back. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually am calm. The thing is, this is not my house. If I am to do that, I'm going to have to keep the escape under wraps. Because this will end with my parents buying traps.

Oh, I have the food out already, and a homemade "No Kill" trap which came in handy when I was a kid (didn't catch the rat, but got a boatload of mice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If he's new, it'll be harder...but you can still find him. with the cats, put them in a room where you KNOW your rat isnt.
then go ot the room with his cage. search in and under dressers, between beds, and everywhere. it may take a while. but DONT give up.
i've dealt with the same.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Any news of the lil fella? Remember to him his cage isn't a cage, it's safety, food, and his home. He might be trying to get back there. Try putting the cage on the floor and check on it every hour to see if he's trying to get back in.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
And make sure you put water out at least, you don't want your rat to dehydrate. I have put the cage on the floor with the door open. If he has a cagemate then put the cage/other rat on the floor and see if the familiarty will draw him out.

I also use Hav-a-hart traps for the really difficult ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, After all day, I gave up hope last night....

He was in a cage this morning... With my rabbit.... Who was obviously a bit stressed out by this little creature that was eating his food. I put him back.

I'm kinda glad my rabbit didn't do anything.... Rabbits may be cute, but they can be quite vicious.

·
Registered
194 Posts
what a great end to the story, so glad you have him back, i bet he had fun on his adventure making a new friend...but i bet he was even more pleased to see you! :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love it. I also love that rabbits are generally a little high strung and nervous (kind of enduring, actually) and I am just picturing the whole scene... and laughing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like you need to put a lock on the cage. Or have your little sister not open it while you aren't around. That way they are safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad you got him back!! Are we allowed to discuss other escaping rats on this topic? (Sorry I'm new to forums and not sure about forum etiquette) It's just I have a very funny story about when my very aptly named rat (Houdini) escaped if anyone is interested but I'm not sure if I have to start a new topic or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts