Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted here a few days ago about my old sick rat. he's still going, but he has been acting VERY strange and I'm not sure what to do. he will get a burst of energy and he will climb all over his house and his food dish, and he seems desperate to get out of the cage. but then when i hold him he wont stop moving and seems very agitated. it seems like he is on some kind of mission and he seems confused and disoriented. he also lost a lot of weight and his head smells..i know that's weird but it does. he is almost like a zombie.

i've had rats for awhile and i never seen anything like this. i'm really messed up over whats going on.. he had a tumor that was removed and he has just gone downhill ever since. i feel terrible about it and a part of me wants to let him go and the other part of me wants to keep trying.

when did you guys have to consider euthanasia? he is still eating and drinking so i don't know what to do.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
If he is still eating and drinking and doesn't look like he is in pain, I would wait to put him to sleep. Could he have a pituitary tumor? Give him a cheerio and if he is NOT able to eat it with his front paws while balancing his body on his hind legs, it is usually a sign of pituitary tumor. There are meds to slow down the progression of PT, but no cure. Meds can give him extra months of quality life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he is a little over 2 years. he now snatches treats from my hand and he eats them very, very, very slow. he is still able to balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts